Entry Door Slide Blolt Doesn't Retract

Started by wizardbill, June 27, 2010, 06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wizardbill

Well, now the door handle does not retract.  By this, I mean that the handle DOES retract, but the little thing that pushes out to latch the door and keep it closed does not go back in on its own.  So, I guess I have to replace the spring inside.  However, the problem is that I did this about three months ago.  I wonder if it is something I need to fix every quarter.... :)rotflmao

tiinytina

I always rub a little pencil (graphite) onto the latch mechanism as well as the strike plate edges... also can use lock lubricant and quirt into and around latch mechanism. might help.
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

wizardbill

Oz

Perhaps you should remove the unit and spray it down good inside with WD40 to clean out any gunk in it prior to adding the graphite.

Another fix to this a lot of people have done is to replace that latch with a house-style door knob fixture.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

wizardbill

That is an idea also, forget the latch door!  But, one thing I recommend over WD40 is PB Blaster.  It works much better for all jobs WD40 does.  It is just less well known, but all autoparts stores have it.

tiinytina

We replaced our door latch with a "home" model and pat rekeyed it to our house key... so one house key for both our houses! also
You should not use WD40 or PT blaster on door locks because it will attract dust/grit etc.... there is lock lube specifically for that etc. - this per Pat.....

Tina

Oz

Good observation from Pat!  Makes sense... it would just collect all the road dust faster.

Maybe just wipe down the parts or use vinegar to dissolve any build-up and then wipe them down thoroughly before using the graphite. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

wizardbill

Solved this one, too.  Thanks everyone.  What I did was get my fifteen year old son, Austin, to remove the handle cover and use a number 2 pencil to scribble all over all the parts.  He basically covered everything with the graphite pencil lead, removing, in the process all the gunk that was built up from the PB blaster and the wd 40 over time.  Thanks for the solution, it works great and as a side bonus, he feels like he is helping keep the RV going, which he is, cause it is a repair I did not have to do.

jkilbert

dont forget that the slided latch on the door is to prevent the door from opening if the coach flexes during travel. glenn can tell you all about that. if you're switching to a home style latch also add a dead bolt for travel security. i also have had the door on my tt pop open during travel because i didn't lock the dead bolt. most all of the ,and i hate to use the term "newer"  coaches use an automotive type latch with a nader pin to secure the door shut.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

tiinytina

Gone has a thumb latch dead bolt above the house door latch.. and yes have had the door pop open when I forgot to latch the dead bolt...oops.  Latching dead bolt is on my "preflight" list by the steering wheel.... but when in a rush to get Gone.. well ya know...  W%

Tina