Trunk door (rear compartment panel) needs repair

Started by MSN Member, December 07, 2008, 12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Movinyou1

Sent: 4/14/2005 9:30 PM

The wood in my trunk door has gotten wet and is delaminating. Has anybody had any luck removing the outer skin and say put it on a new sheet of plywood or some such thing?               Leonard

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/15/2005 8:18 AM

Leonard,

Trunk door? you mean the back access hatch?

It comes apart very easily and with some adhesives and wallboard, tou can make it just as good as new.

It's the same construction as the door.

Is your aluminum outside panel ok, or pitted and rotting?

Tom 
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Movinyou1

Sent: 4/16/2005 3:50 AM

Actually, the skin on my trunk, hatchor whatever is in excellent shape. Can it be safely removed without kinking and what adhesive should I use to reattach it?

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/27/2005 12:57 PM

PL waterproof wall board adhesive. Avalable at lowe's. You will need a 3/16" toothed trowel to apply it, and some way to clamp the Door (or hatch, or boot, or trunk, or whatever!....)

I used 27/32" plywood over and under mine, then 2X4's and clamps, came out beutifully, although the aluminum still needs to be repainted, but I'm going to do the whole rig at once, so that's not an issue for me.

You can fix it in about 3 hours, plus some drying time before reinstallation.

Tom 

Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...