TT Canvas & some of its problems

Started by OldEdBrady, November 24, 2010, 02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldEdBrady

I owned a tent trailer for a few years that some of the club members were awsome enough to give to me.

She was a '71 Calypso.  So, the canvas had some issues.  Nothing major, but here and there.

Canvas that old is liable to tear on occasion.  I found that the patch kit made by Coleman did wonders for those minor repairs.  In fact, at one point, we had a couple of holes just above one of the beds.

Using the patch kit, I was able to seal those two holes--with rain coming down--and it never leaked again.

As a result, I ALWAYS carried at least one of those kits with me wherever the Calypso was parked.

Just an idea for you folks.

tiinytina

Having been kid in growing up using Calypso since its birth... have to agree... Canvas is canvas... keep patch kits on hand. Always kept a needle and thread plus patches.. mice can get in and did..  The last  years we took her out we always just tarped her if there was any chance of rain. Also used "thompsons Water Seal" on it recommended by my local upholstering gal... with one caveat no open flames around it... put it away bone dry. and in a microstorm/downpour it will rain through the canvas....its not fiberglass  with canvas its all about surface tension accidentally brush or touch the  canvas and you're dripping...

still beats a tent and  sleeping on the ground!!

tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!