Freezing water lines

Started by 4winds, December 14, 2010, 09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4winds

How can I keep my inside water lines, from freezing in this deep freeze I am now in?  When I got up this AM all but the hot water in kitchen is frozen.  Neither of my furnaces work and I heat with ceramic space heater.  It was 40 deg in  here. Didn't have this problem last winter in Texas but it didn't get down to 14 ° either. 

Forgot to mention:  I'm not on city water,using my onboard water tank.  Ed 
Thanks, Ed

DaveVA78Chieftain

Since you are not on city water, the drip drip faucet option is not really an option.
Assuming you do have 120VAC Shore Power,
You will need to use pipe foam insulation and in some areas electric heated pipe tape.
Not unusual for piping to be attached to floor.  You may need to raise the pipes up off the floor a inch or so to help isolate them so the floor does not act as a transfer medium.
Insulation in order to keep as much heat in as possible.
Removable plastic window covering to help reduce heat loss.
Foam plug for ciieling vents.
You may have to add a 2nd ceramic heater.
Skirts around the outside will help keep the wind from under your rig.  Some people have used hay bails instead.

Dave
[move][/move]

angrybreadbox73

i recently added skitring to the toaster and after it snowed took and piled the snow around all the skirting for a good seal and yes it stayed warmer also i use the furnace and a electric radiator
soo many bagos so little time

4winds

My lines finally thawed out this evening.  Will try to get better insulation on this week.

ClydesdaleKevin

The original owner of our RV, from Colorado, added tank heaters and heat tape to all the vulnerable pipes in the outside compartment that houses all that.  I'm probably going to try them out tonight, as we are supposed to have ANOTHER hard freeze here in Florida again tonight!  Last night I let the water drip and didn't have any issues.  The night before we had to run most of the day on freshwater tank storage since it took all day for the hoses to thaw out.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

OldEdBrady

I was a bit disappointed.  From the title of the thread, I thought someone wanted to know how to freeze water lines, and I am an expert at that.  blown more than one water line in my time from ice.

Anyway, the electrical heating tape is best for the water lines.  And, they make heating "blankets" that can be put on the holding tanks.  I would assume that one of those (or two, if necessary) could be used on the fresh water tank(s).  They are, also, electrical.  I'd check with any local RV supply house for something like that.

angrybreadbox73

had to run my mouth now my supply line is froze $@!#@! D:oH!

4winds

Feel for you, we now know how to handle this i?? $@!#@!

Oz

Get one, preferrably two, high output hair blow dryers.  Open any access panels, remove drawers, or use any other opening sufficient to insert the tip of a blowe dryer in where lines are frozen.  You only want to open the drawer or door or panel where you are trying to unfreeze the lines so that the heat will be more concentrated in that area.  Turn it (them) on low to medium heat, high fan speed.  Avoid using high heat as blow dryers weren't meant to be used for extended periods of time and you don't want to burn up the heating element.

In addition, you can use a circular hole cutting drill attacment and cut holes in panels which would be ideal to circulate the heated air in areas which are otherwise hard to effectively get the heat to circulate.  Install small vent covers over the blow dryer access holes when not in need of using them.  This will also allow at least some circulation of heat into those areas from your normal heating sources as well.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

angrybreadbox73

well guys and gals looks like inside water lines are all ok i turned on the pump waited till it stopped checked for leaks none found so its my supply line to the city hookup since i dont have transportation my neighbor is gonna take me over to home depot latter im gonna get more heat tape and pipe insulation