Awning placement advice needed

Started by Miller_with_theChieftain, December 07, 2008, 12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller_with_theChieftain

Sent: 4/16/2004 7:47 PM

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the site, and not exactly sure how to start these but here goes.  I just got my first Winne She is a 1977 chieftain 26 ft rear bath 440, 61K, D26CRB.

The Question I have is where to start the awning.  Would you suggest right by the mirror (18ft) or just in front of the door (15ft)? I know the has to be good and bad about both.  I notice you guys have them both ways.  Which way do you have better support? Easier to install?  Pictures coming soon.
                                      Thank you!
                                       Justin Miller
                                       Sioux Falls, SD

Sea Hag

Sent: 4/16/2004 8:07 PM

welcome aboard - I have a 76 23'chieftain D23C  - Mine is mounted just in front of the entry door - it as on the rig when I got it so I can't help for mounting one - It works fine mounted that way and does not obstruct the right side view while driving the entry door will not open past 90 degrees and has to be straped to the uprights while left open . otherwise it works well for me that way - Sea Hag 

Oz

Sent: 4/16/2004 8:53 PM

Welcome!  Another plus to having the awning by the mirror is:  if it's raining, you don't get wet when you go out the door.  Practical, no?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Sea Hag

Sent: 4/17/2004 9:14 AM

The way mine is mounted - Between the door and the passenger window - It does cover the door - however you may have a little more protection  mounting it by the mirror but may give up some driving side view - Mine is by A&E Awning  Parts are still available  -Sea Hag 

cookie man

Sent: 4/25/2004 1:32 PM

I have a '76 chieftain and the awning is just after the door but before the mirror. The problem is now the mirror is almost impossible to see out of it with the awning pole in the way. When I have the awnig replaced I will make a decision to either move pole or find way to extend mirror out farther to be more useful.

Oz

Sent: 4/25/2004 10:34 PM

I guess it would have been helpful to mention that I have truck style (west coast) mirrors.  They extend out more than the OEM ones ,so I don't have any noticeable loss of vision.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca