Water distrbution system; pressurized vs on-demand

Started by Earl74, January 12, 2011, 08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl74

I have a 1974 Winnebago Chieftan. Nearly fully restored, but various original systems keep fritzing out. Recently, the pressurized water system went out via the city water inlet valve's check-valve breaking. Now the pressurized system will not hold pressure and I can't use any of the water systems. Two questions: 1) Has anyone dealt with replacing/fixing this old pressurized system. 2) Has anyone converted the water system to an on-demand system using the existing aluminum pressure tanks?

Earl74

So I got smart (and hopefully stayed out of trouble) and searched for related topics on previous posts. I learned a lot, but still have questions. One would be can I use my old tanks in their current location/setup/etc and just insert an on-demand pump on the outflow line? Obviously, I'd have to add a city supply valve after the pump, but the main question comes back to the tanks...and also the fill valve.

The posts I read that had wonderful information were from 2004!!! I'm trying to contact those people in the meantime.

Oz

Yes, you can use the original tanks with an on-demand pump (which is a better system).  You'll have to remove them and figure your coupling sizes.  The air inlet on top will now be your water fill and the outlet at the bottom will still be your outlet.

One good thing about these old rigs.  What was pertinent back in 2004 is still useful and likely always will be since the old rigs certainly aren't going to evolve into newer ones!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

Here is a water system diagram, which I found helpful to understand the system.

http://bigdiscountrv.com/rv-water-system-diagram.htm

I have a pressure system with a galvanized steel tank, and air pump.  gonna replace with poly tank and sure flo pump, put in a new city supply valve and new fill for tank.   Also all line will be pex.  Lowes a good source for pex.  Pumps and poly tank from local RV supply or order from internet.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

salplmb

u can use the old tanks no problem. u just need to remember that that the fill valve needs to be changed to a open style for air to get in the tanks. other wise it will create a vacume and not work. that schematic is good just need to have a vent for the tanks.
hope this helps a little.
sal