What's the Easiest floor Covering to install?

Started by Madathlon, January 22, 2011, 07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madathlon

Ok friends here whats up, I had to pull the nasty carpet from my 73 D20. the plywood is solid and I will be sealing it. So here the question. What is the easiest flooring to install for a first timer, and I mean really easy.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

4winds

DaveVA78Chieftain

I used 12" vinyl tiles from Lowes.  Real easy to clean.
If I use it in cold weather I put down throw rugs for warm feeties.

Dave
[move][/move]

ibdilbert01

We used these non sticky rubber backed squares, just cut to fit, no glue needed, though when I wasn't looking Dad did pop a few staples in a few here and there.   ;)   And if you need to replace one later down the road, its no big deal.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Oz

vinyl roll flooring.  You don't have to cut each square and it doesn't require any glue.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

I used 12" vinyl tiles in the bathroom and kitchen area (just make sure you at least prime the floor first, especially if its OSB plywood...even better level it first with leveler and then prime it)...and we recarpeted the RV...which was WAY easy because it had been recarpeted before...so it already had the tack strips nailed down and even the doghouse carpet was replaced, which meant that I was able to carefully remove the old carpet from the floor and doghouse and use it as a template for the new carpet...it went down WAY easy and even the doghouse carpet fit like a glove and all I had to do was glue down the new doghouse carpet and trim a little bit.  We also replaced the foam pad underneith.  So...to do it easy for the first time?  Carefully cut your old carpet out right at the wall and cabinet line and set them aside.  Next nail down carpet tack strips about 3/4 of an inch from the cabinets and walls, all the way around.  Then cut foam to fit, and staple the heck out of it all around the perimeter.  Now use your old carpet as a template and cut out your new carpets exact.  Lay it on over the tack strips, and use your foot in a sneaker to kick the carpet tight into the tack strips (you don't need a kicker for a small area like an RV). Voila!  Done, except for little metal trim peices where the carpet ends at tile, or around the step well, etc.  Its super easy, looks great, and the extra foam padding keeps the RV warmer and gets rid of a LOT of road noise. 

If you've already thrown out your old carpets, it become a little more difficult...you have to guesstimate the carpet size and cut it a few inches bigger all the way around, then lay it in before laying down the tack strips and foam.  Then trim it to an exact fit with a utility knife or carpet knife...THEN tack in the strips and foam and lay down the carpets.

Good luck!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.