360 Versus 318 Versus 440?

Started by LJ-TJ, January 26, 2011, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Need some help here big time. Got a chance to pick up a 75 21footer with a 360. I've been holding out for a 440 as I want to go through the mountains and actually be able to go up them. I've owned the 318 and it was OK just didn't seem to think I was going to make it up the hills half the time. Do ya think I should hold out for the 440 or do ya think the 360 ill do the job. I might want to tow a Honda Civic on occasion.  Hm? Thanks Lads/Lasses

Madathlon

Id say it really matter on how loaded you plan to have your RV. If its loaded to the Max ( like Most RVs ) you want that 440. BUT if your willing to invest some time, you could do a engine swap and get that 440 you want.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

4winds

The 360 is a great engine.  But, the 440-3 is much,much,much better.  'Course I got one so I'm conceited. :D

Froggy1936

Hi TJ. My Chev 350 has been able to handle all grades even pulling my boat and im overloaded all the time. All veh. are geared to handel all paved grades loaded to the max and towing the max You may have to use low gear to get over the top but you will always make it The steepest grade i can recall is the one going to Raystown Lake I hit this hill (with curve) at 75 MPH and finish the top in low range at 25 MPH Towing my boat and rig weighing 12,000 lbs and boat weight of 2000 lbs I would not like to have to stop and start out on this grade but im shure i would make it  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao Thanks Frank, thanks guys. We rarely run close to max. We usually run light. I'm just getting antsy.