Can I use a Kerosene Space Heater in my RV?

Started by NEWATTHIS, February 01, 2011, 09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEWATTHIS

Hello, I have a 1979 Winnebago Itasca. I am wondering if it is safe to use a Kerosene heater in the RV? The heater has a safety cut off switch and works very well. it has a 5 gallon tank also. Anyone that knows, I'd appreciate your' opinion(s). Thanks,

Newtothis
Dysfunctional Vet, Gary

OldEdBrady

Actually, it depends on the heater.  Some are very safe.  Some aren't So you need to know about any warnings, etc., on the one you have.  And FOLLOW THEM.

Lefty

I disagree,

!-!   Even though a new kerosene heater had safety shut off's to prevent it from spreading flames in the even it should accidentially get knocked over, they burn oxygen and release carbon monoxide fumes... a combination that could be deadly... Even if you have a carbon monoxide monitor, there's no guarantee you will be consious enough to respond to it if it goes off, let alone if it went off way after the oxygen level was already depleted enough to kill you.

An RV is a fairly small space, as far as cubic volume of air is concerned... it wouldn't take long for any open flame heater to deplete the available oxygen. That is precisley why RV furnaces have air exchangers in them...
They heat air drawn from the coach into a sealed box, and all the flames and fumes are in a separate area vented to the outside. Preventing any contamination of the RV air.

If you must provide an alternative heat source, a safer alternative is an oil filled radiator style electrically heated. They put out a good bit of heat and are totally sealed. As a last resort, the small ceramic cube styles also put out a good bit of heat for their size... at the cost of high amperage draw.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ibdilbert01

I 100% agree with Lefty!!!   !-!  Unless one would like to check out of this world, I would highly advise not to use one simply due to the lack of air space. 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

tiinytina

Add on the kerosene fumes... a friend had one in his house and whenever we all would go over I would have to leave with a migraine from the smell....  :'( . Have to agree with the assessment in the negative... not worth potential hazard.

tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

LJ-TJ

Chances are your looking for an inexpensive way to heat your rig which I understand how ever I must say are resounding  !-! "NO"   !-! notta, no, not a chance. Up here in Canada many, many times in a major snow storm people have use these things when the hydro went out and the furnace quite. They end up dead from carbonmonixied poisoning. There not something to be played with. Sorry mate that's my two cents worth.

ClydesdaleKevin

Unusually for me, I have to agree with the majority...NO!  Not enough oxygen in the confined space of our old rigs, and CO poisoning and fumes...I wouldn't do it...Nope!  The only safe way to run one would be to leave at least a couple side windows slightly open, and a roof vent cracked open to provide a constant air source and air flow...the hot air would rise taking fumes and CO with it out the air vent, and fresh air would be drawn in from the side windows.  That said...your heat would also go out the top vent, and cold air would come in from the side windows...kind of defeats the purpose of using the heater at all, eh?

Hmmmm...oil filled radiator...now THAT sounds like a plan!  No noise, low amp draw...I love it when a plan comes together!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

In view of the overwhelming advice of more knowledgeable people, I have retracted my statement that they "...can be used.  However, just like using a kerosene heater in any confined space, you need good ventilation, a CO2 detector and, a chemical fire extinguisher."

Most likely, "proper ventilation" would require the use of a pretty high flow intake and exhaust fan which would considerably reduce the heat provided by the kerosene unit thus making it inefficient as well as hazardous.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

OldEdBrady

Totally agree with the last post above.  That's more or less why I worded my reply as I did.

Sea Hag

I also Agree withthe above - NO DON,T USE A KEROSINE HEATER IN A CONFINED SPACE

I Do use a oil filled radiator they work well and can be turned down to a  low amp setting once warmed up . I have also used a cubed or ceramic electric also but the radiator type is  and more effficiant . .

I have read treads on using a propane heater buddy with a co2 Cut off but not really convinced on the saftey issues with them either .
Sea Hag