Source for stainless edge trim needed

Started by J33pman, March 02, 2011, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J33pman

I'm getting ready to pick up my new-to-me 1974 D21. I already know the first thing I will have to do is rip off the roof and replace it, as the original owner already did a little "redneck" engineering up there. I'm wondering if there is a source for the edge trim that runs along the leading edges and the edges of the roof. The roof replacments that I've studied on the site seem to go without. There is a little bit of damage to one on the front, so I thought I would try to replace it.

Thanks!

Oz

Yes... the junk yards,.  Nobody actually stocks any kind of new, replacement body parts for an RV which is over 35 years old.  You an either use what is there if they have any vintage Winnebagos, or you will have to use an alternate style from another rig, or you will have to watch for ones being parted out, or you will have to use something else entirely that will work, or you'll have to fabricate it.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

J33pman

Thanks! I figured I would have to fabricate or scrounge. I was wondering if anyone found a close facsimile.

ibdilbert01

The trim on my RV is extruded aluminum.   

With my experience of having custom aluminum extrusions one of the major cost is having the die made for the extrusion.   The aluminum company I use outsources the dies and the cost is between 500 to 1000 bucks providing there is no floating center.   

Another unfortunate issue with having custom aluminum extruded is most companies have a minimal order of 1000lbs.   

And then straight aluminum doesn't weather well, so it needs to be anodized at the very least.    Still over all its cheap, except for the dies and the quantity.   

Now if we just had a member whos job was die making or extrusion....     Hm?
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

J33pman

<Sigh>....It looks so much better with the trim going all the way around. Oh well. It really is the least of my problems considering the rest of the roof anyway. Maybe I can do something with some flashing or metal trim that will look good.

ntsc358

LJ-TJ

Ok just slow down a bit. There are rigs out there as we speak that folks are selling part off. The trim is pretty much standard so you should be able to get what you want in good shape for a few bucks. Got any pictures. When you get her home get some good pictures so we can see just what exactly your after.

LJ-TJ

RV Mech Tech

Here are some other sources for aluminum trim -  www.extrude-a-trim.com  (boat & RV link) ,  www.brunnerent.com ( boat & RV link) , and www.prohmi.com  - these are only a few sources if you do not find any good used trim - you can do a general search on the internet for exterior aluminum  RV moldings as well . :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

PARTING OUT 1972 WINNEBAGO 951-943-2696

Oz

Like I said in my original reply, watch for rigs being parted out.  As you can see, TJ already found two in a very short period of time. 

J33pman

Wow, this turned lively! Looks like I will go with some anodized angled aluminum, as most of the salvage vehicles are quite a distance away. Will check some of the San Antonio area salvage yards, but I think it will be fairly straightforward to replace with all these great links.

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

Oz

Remember that, Texas is a very large State and even Austin is a good hike from San Antonio and, this edge trim is not of major consequence if itt's not replaced with the original.  Hower, there have been plenty of awesome leads and options given by your fellow members, if they are valid options for you.