"Water Wetter" coolant additive?

Started by Oz, March 17, 2013, 03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toddabney

Sent: 7/21/2008 3:18 PM

Hey there!  I too am worried about running too hot. i have heard of "water wetter",it is sposed to make your coolant have a higher boiling point? a friend told me they used to run it in race cars years back....i think. it has been a few years back that i heard this story... so,  anyway that is a route i plan on checking out once i can afford it. has anyone heard this plan? it fianally warmed up here in western washington. so i will be doing cooling stuff soon. take care and stay cool...todd

ontheroadagain

Sent: 7/21/2008 6:17 PM

they sell it at advance auto or parts america depending on where you are

Oz

Parts America is no longer in business.  Anyone else have any info or experience with "Water Wetter"?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ibdilbert01

Its not suppose to make the coolant have a higher boiling point, its suppose to cause the the water to make more contact with the metal allowing better heat transfer.

The mechanic at work had a bottle of this stuff on his desk, I asked him if it worked, and he claims its great for racing.   I added a bottle to my radiator a few years ago when I was having radiator issues, can't say it worked, as I didn't noticed a difference     

i??
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DonD

It's a surfactant, makes water....  wait for it....     wetter!

Kills the surface tension. Detergent without the suds!
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Froggy1936

Permanant Antifreeze besides protecting from freezing and adding lubricants & conditioners also raises the boiling temp of the coolant @ 50/50 mix  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Stripe

What DonD says about the water wetter is correct, it changes the surface tension of water. I still use it in my 86 Porsche 944 racer. Thing is, I DO NOT mix my water with coolants.  I use straight water. I have yet to have a heating problem outside of a leaking radiator.  (I race mostly in Southern Cali). It can be found in nearly every decent auto supply chain / parts store.

CMM
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28