split rim replacements, or bias tubed tire replacement

Started by outdoorsguy36, May 31, 2011, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsguy36

I know that there are several posts on here already about tires and rims, but all the links I have tried so far go to sites that either don't exist or don't sell the product anymore. I have 7.50 17" tubed tires on my 72 D24C Winnie and all the of them are split rims. Only Bias ply tubed tires I can find are from Michelin called XCA at a cost of $450 each tire. Honestly restoring this old girl is a project I've been looking forward to for a long time. Now I have the time but at a cost of $3800 just to re-tire, mount, balance, and tax I'm not going to be able to afford it so I'm hoping you all have some suggestions. I have read posts were tubeless rims that will accommodate radial tires only cost around $80 to $130. I can get radial modern tires way cheaper than the bias ply tubed ones that are on there right now. I have the 17" rims with the 5 lug pattern, all seven including the spare are split rims. I am checking through the forums before posting now that I see how much info you all have on here.

wrolandhyattjr

I don't have the time right now, but I want to at least flag a few items for you.  I think I posted about my experience in replacing the wheels with split rings on my 1970 Superior on a M300/M375 chassis. It was quite an adventure.  Try to find it with a search.  The source for the wheels was http://www.southwestwheel.com/?gclid=CJ6QnrXhk6kCFUgaQgodKziJcg.  They are still around.

You can call me  and I'll be happy to talk with you at length.  I'm in Fallon, Nevada.
Roland Hyatt
1991 Gulf Stream Conquest Class c
1988 Winnebago Elandan 37RQ