How do I remove the Water Heater Tank?

Started by LJ-TJ, July 06, 2011, 09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Jumpin' jehasephrat has any body taken a hot water tank out of a 1975 Winnebago Brave? Hm? The hot water tank is bigger than the hole D:oH! Darn if I can figure it out.  D:oH!

Oz

The ones I've seen in the 1975 and older couldn't be removed through the body panel.  It's removed from inside.  The easiest ones are on the 23' and larger ones which have them located under one of the dinette benches.  I don't know where yours is located but, wherever it is, you get at it by going through the interior.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sorry to disagree.  I have had mine out of my 78 several times trying to seal a leak untill I just replaced it this past spring.  It is tight but normal Atwwood units are designed to be pulled out from the outside.  The outside door would not fit correctly if it wasn't.   After disconnecting the water lines, gas line, and any electrical connections, you remove the flange screws on the outside and slide the complete unit out of the rig.  There is sealeant around the flange that can make it difficult to break loose.  It would have to slide out from the outside in order for the attaching flange to fit correctly.
Here is a Youtube video of the process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzuLuuSZyxI

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

Well, that's REALLY good to hear, Dave.  Any I saw, the darned access door was way too small for the unit to fit through.  I suppose you'll just have to measure and see, TJ.

Oz

I went up and checked the 1977 Itasca water heater exterior access.  Definitely CAN remove the 10 gallon water heater through that big opening!

DaveVA78Chieftain

I will add that while many are designed to be removed from the outside of the coach we tend to always be reminded that there is more than one way to skin the critter.  As Mark initially pointed out, sometimes they can only be removed from the inside.  With that said, make sure you understand the requirements of the replacement water heater so you know if there is a need to make the hole bigger so you can install the new one.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Hey Dave you were bang on. I did have to dismantle my old water heater in order to remove it . It did come out the side eventually. However the new atwood did slide in slicker than goose shoot no problem. Thanks Mate.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Great.  These ole girls can be finicky at times but not impossible.  Always ask if something is not obvious at first.

Dave
[move][/move]