Bedding Idea's

Started by Madathlon, February 21, 2011, 11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madathlon

ok as I go through my long list of needs for the winnies I find some items are just lost in time. I have the D20 with the rear Bed/Bench. The Old mattress (or what ever was used for one) is long missing. What have you all used as replacement for this and the other two over head bunks? 
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

tiinytina

The best source I have found is Overstock.com. Purchase memory foam (how thick is up to you), and measure how much you need. Can purchase say a King size and then cut it to the sizes you need.  If you don't plan on folding that rear gaucho up they do sell a very nice "RV" system memory foam mattress... has anti microbial etc in it, comes as 3 layers with a bag to put all in to create the "mattress". 

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

jkilbert

on both my overhead bunks the covers were trashed but the foam was in good shape. i used futon covers to replace the upholstery.....they worked very well. as far as my other cushions go i'm using fleece throws that i got at wal-mart to make my covers for them. they had them 2 for $6 in many different colors and prints.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Froggy1936

I use air mattresses avail @ Walmart singles are about $15.00 to $25.00 I get a couple years out of the better ones A 12V air pump is about $20.00 for one with both blow and suck outlets I can use this on rear seat setup for 1 night setups or on frt pullout for longer stays  i have installed cigarett lighter outlets in frt and rear of camper Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ibdilbert01

I got lucky, a futon mattress fit mine perfectly.  It works well in the couch position too.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Froggy1936

I have foam cushions that make a full bed in the rear with table down. But for more comfort i put the air mattress on top of them.  The foam mattresses that i had for the frt. bunk i removed to use area for storage. Now that i am going to reuse for sleeping area (the main thing i dont like is useing the ladder im too old)  But the air mattress works fine there. and then i dont have to lower the table at night. and can make the bed up whenever im ready instead of having to do it immeadiatly to have breakfast. Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

hose-man

Went the futon route on the back bed for a couple months.    It was a "descent" futon matress, but It was never comfortable.    I kept an eye on craigs list and one day an all foam matress was offered for sale from a little old lady who was downsizing and this was in her guest bedroom.     The goucho bed is completely non-standard for mattress sizes and it CraigsList mattress was too wide.   I cut the cover's bottom seam on one side, pulled it back, and cut the foam to the desired width.   Then a little spray adhesive stuck the open side of the cover back together.   Place the modified side of the mattress against the back wall where it cant be seen & viola!!!   RV bed.     

When in futon mode i found that we never put the bed up into couch mode because my kids preferred to pile onto the bed to watch the TV i've mounted on the side wall in the back.  Changing to a permanent bed in the rear is no loss in functionality and way more comfortable for Mrs Hoseman & I to sleep.

Good luck to you.

pwf16129

rear bed in our class c had wrong mattress it is a odd size 48 wide went to foam factory . com got a 5 inch mattress with 7 year foam for 147.00 we  will sew a couple sheets together  and set to go. later want to replace the cushions in the over head with some made in three pieces so we can stack the and use the area for storage when traveling and sleeping when camped.these folks will cut any size any shape and have a range of thicknesses and qualitys so you can go cheaper or more expensive depending  your needs.

brians69d24

I got a 5" foam mattress from JC Penney for around $90. I cut it to fit my bunk with  an electric carving knife.
brian

Madathlon

Quote from: brians69d24 on June 23, 2011, 04:50 PM
I got a 5" foam mattress from JC Penney for around $90. I cut it to fit my bunk with  an electric carving knife.
brian

Now thats is a idea I can do :D
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech