Decal and tape srtipe removal suggestions

Started by joanfenn, June 07, 2011, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanfenn

Our Citation Excella has peeling stripes on it I would like to remove, what is better, a sanding wheel or a hairdryer/ paintstripper? Hm?

ibdilbert01

I'd try the least aggressive first.  Maybe a hairdryer or better yet a heat gun and plastic razor blades. Just be carefull with the heat gun, as a good one will get too hot. 
Also you might want to look into pinstripe / eraser wheels, 3m makes a good one that doesn't harm pain, but will remove pinstripes and other stickers with ease.     
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

tiinytina

hair dryer, and go to kitchen section and get a teflon/plastic pan scraper... or just park in the sun and use mother nature to soften the vinyl up....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

JDxeper

Took mine off with a heat gun on low.
Y!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

supremechief

I've been down this road and used heat, scrapers, eraser wheels and finally paint.  I don't want to be a fly in the ointment but based on my experience, be prepared for an unexpected result.  Best case, everything turns out great.  Worst case ( mine) , the vinyl  stripes finally came off but left stains in the fiberglass.  The eraser wheels worked great but  they generate heat and can discolor the surface.  Depending on the vinyl pattern, you may be able to buy new vinyl but again,  in my case, the pattern made it almost impossible to cover the stains left by the old stuff. The only way I could achieve the result I wanted was with paint.  In the end, I was happy with the result but invested far more time and money than I had expected.

I hope this helps.  Good luck with your project.