Sealing edges of eternabond tape

Started by recycled55, April 03, 2012, 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recycled55

I just finished putting eternabond tape on the sidewalls/roof joints. Do I have to put a sealant on the edges of the tape?
I bought some a while back and it had a tube of some white edge sealant included. This roll doesn't have it so I'm wondering- is it necessary?
recycled55
84 winniebago chieftain 22   SOLD
2007 four winds hurricane - I know not a classic

OldEdBrady

I don't know whether you're "supposed" to use a sealant, but, if it were me, I certainly would.  i mean, what if there were one tiny spot where it isn't fastened down quite properly?  Maybe something invisible to the naked eye?  New leak in the making.

Oz

Eternabond is super sticky and stays pliable for years.  There are different types and, I don't know if the kind you got last time was the same or they just stopped including the sealant but, you shouldn't need any unless, after a few times of using the RV, you notice a spot which has buckled for some reason.  I had one spot in an area on mine which I watched because I rather suspected it might happen.  I just recleaned the area and just put a piece of E-bond tape over the edge of the original tape and some of the area next to it and it was good to go.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

I used Eterabond to seal all my seams and around the vents etc., but then coated the whole roof immediately afterwards with Kool Seal...so the Kool Seal sealed the edges.  I used 5 heavy coats of seal, and even more over the tape when I cut in with a brush before going to the roller.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

OldEdBrady

You will find MANY recommendations for covering a roof.  So, I may as well get my shot in.  I used Dyco 890.  You'll read/hear about Kool Seal, which may be wonderful.  And many others.  But the ONLY thing that sealed the Alfabago's roof was the Dyco, and I used it only after everything else had failed.  Even then, I only bought a small quart because I had given up, and thought I would have to replace the entire roof.  But, it worked so well, I went back after enough to cover the entire roof.  And, I will never use anything else.  It repaired a couple of major leaks that nothing else would seal.

Just my opinion.

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Ed...as long as it isn't that thick fibrous silvery crap...I hate that stuff...when it starts to leak, and it will, it could be leaking at the front of the rig...and then find its way along hidden cracks in the fibers all the way to the back of the rig...AND its a PIA to remove!

I've actually had really good luck with Henry brand of white elastomeric coating sold at Home Depot, and its way cheaper than Kool Seal.  Seems like it hold up just as well, looks the same, goes on the same, even smells the same...and its about 1/3 the price.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Kevin's post jogged my memory.  After finishing with the Eternabond tape, I too coated over everything with 6 coats of (insert whatever roof coating you're using here).  There was one spongy spot over the door and that's the area I suspected there might be issues with after using the rig several times and that's where I added the extra tape (coating over it with roof coating too). 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

OldEdBrady

Kevin, I actually looked at the Henry stuff, but wasn't sure it would work on my roof, so I bypassed it.  Thanks.  If I need to do the work again, I may try it.