How To Remove Dash in 1973 Indian ??

Started by burt6666, June 13, 2012, 04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burt6666

Need to remove the dash to install new stereo...do I just remove all the screws and pull it off??? It's the big long flat dash.

ibdilbert01

Is it a dash like this one?

I've only seen one member remove the dash completely, and if I remember right, it looked to be a major job getting it out, as its just so big.   Heres a shot w/out the vinyl.

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

burt6666

Ya...that's just like mine....just trying to replace the stereo...anyone have some tips on that?

ibdilbert01

What I found out was the existing hole was of today's standard size, single DIN.     So the common head unit should slip right in w/out any modifications to the dash.   If your wanting to install something a bit larger, like today's Double DIN units, I see no reason why you couldn't just cut the hole larger.   As for wiring, the front two speakers are silly easy to get too.   If you hook speakers up in the back, it can get a bit tricky.    Both of my rear speakers happened to be on a closet wall in the back, so I ran my wires under the rig, tucked inside the frame rail, then back up through the closet floors.    I stuck an amp and a sub woofer under one of the dinette seats, again running the wires under the rig, along the frame rail.   
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

burt6666

I'm gonna put a single DIN unit in...just kinda tight to get behind the dash for wiring,etc....