Is the roof safe to walk on?

Started by MSN Member, January 13, 2010, 07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Sent: 5/22/2008

With the inherent problem of roof leaks , why was this even an option and does anyone really use the roof to walk on , or bundle things up to it?

Even my dads new rig has a ladder to access the roof with but he won't even step foot on his roof.

Oz

Sent: 5/24/2008

Yup, walk on it all the time.  It should bear a person's weight since you kinda need to go up there to put on and take off the roof AC cover, clean debris off the roof, do caulking... however, I've always been careful to stay on the joists or crawl anywhere on all fours.  Note that I only weigh 175lbs.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tiinytina

Sent: 6/1/2008

walk on it all of the time... have to check to see if vents are good, if bathroom sewer ducts have thier caps on, patch the awning, manually release the rusty awning workings... repaint with Koolseal, recaulk railing supports...  and without a proper basement its a good place to lash down your honeywagon (not that we have one but I've seen quite a few lashed up there)....  oh yea... and if watch NASCAR... an excellent crows nest to view the race....

tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

4winds

Sent: 6/2/2008

Go on top of mine quite often. It's the only way to see if all's well up there. No sags or leaks. Ed

RV Mech Tech

Most if not all motorized and tow behind trailer roofs are strong enough to support one or two people but there are some smaller trailers that you cannot walk on everywhere on the roof as they do not have the support that the larger RVs have (the Ameri-Lite trailers are one example) - also we have all seen the wood rot in older RVs so if you are going on a roof for the first time use caution - if you are doing a restoration and have a damaged section use a large section of wood to give some support where your weight will be- I have seen people go through the roofs on more than one occasion- not a lot of fun!   N:( 

ClydesdaleKevin

It is essential to walk on your roof to do maintenance.  If your roof is so shabby you are afraid to walk on it, it will only get worse.  You need to walk on it, and if you can't, you need to fix it.

I wouldn't suggest doing jumping jacks however...lol!  Especially if you are a big guy like me!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Quote from: tiinytina on January 13, 2010, 07:07 PM
Sent: 6/1/2008

walk on it all of the time...

tina

Note that Tina only weighs like 110 ounces.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

OldEdBrady

Quote from: Mark Sobyak on July 02, 2012, 09:05 PM
Note that Tina only weighs like 110 ounces.

Mark, where the devil is the "like" button?  :-)

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

tiinytina

nuh uh.. he's fibbin....  :angel:
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!