Motor oil brand and weight recommendations

Started by vincewarde, February 11, 2013, 11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vincewarde

What is your motor oil recommendation as to weight and brand?

ClydesdaleKevin

If you are rebuilding the engine go with the factory recommended HD30 or 10W-30.  If you aren't doing a rebuild and have valve noise, try 10W-40.  Just remember...the thicker the viscosity of the oil, the harder the engine has to work, and the worse your gas mileage will be.  Always go with the thinnest oil you can use in your average operating temperatures that is still thick enough not to slip past your piston rings and engine seals (burn or leak). 

I have over 105K on our rig, a Chevy 454 with the original engine, and we run 10W-30 even in the heat of the summer.  We never lose more than a quart between oil changes (religiously at every 3000 miles).

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

For me personally, I use Rotella-T 10W-40. As a rule of thumb I change oil and filter every 2,000 miles or in the spring when we start a new season. There's an old saying you can pay me now (change the oil frequently) or pay me later ( replace the engine). It's just cheep insurance. But that's me.