Need new Chrysler (Dodge) MP300 radiator

Started by BJ Ostrowski, February 19, 2013, 07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJ Ostrowski

Pro's say I wont be able to find a radiator for my 1975 Brave, 440-3 auto. Chrystler part #3827621. I say BS, I got friends. Thanks friends for all your help.

cosmic

I did my regular napa check and all i could find was the hoses. $@!#@!
and i believe that to be a m300 chassis

BJ Ostrowski

I don't mind replacing hoses on the road. Don't want to replace radiator on the road. I wil replace hoses when I replace radiator, just can't seem to locate part. Forget auto part stores, they just laugh, telling me their not made anymore. Gotta be something, somewhere!

cosmic

Be patient some one will come to the rescue. there are al ot of us here. Now that I cant find one i'm waiting to write it in my book of parts notes.

ClydesdaleKevin

Just have it recored.  You can upgrade it to a 4 row core for cheaper than a new old stock radiator if you can even find one.  Find a good oldschool radiator shop and have them recore it.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Woah! Hold up there a minute. Kev's right. Just pull the rad and have a good rad shop re core it for you. I had mine done a few years ago cost two hundred dollar and it came out brand new :)ThmbUp .

BJ Ostrowski

Thats what I'll do as last resort, does'nt sound like i've many other options. I'm thinking more than a couple hundred, seems like there is a tranny cooler in mine, I'm sure that will have to be replaced too, not too sure of the end caps either. Like to hear from some Denver folks, that knows of a reputable shop that could help me out. I would prefer an OEM radiator, but. 

Froggy1936

There are aluminum replacements even with electric fans available Some members have installed them  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

BJ Ostrowski

Exactly what I'm looking for, can't find one locally, or anywhere online. If you can find an outlet for aluminum radiators, that would be a big help. I'm scouring the web as we speak for some place that has alum. radiators. Hard to find.

Froggy1936

I do not know of a site But (ibedilbert01) Put 1 in his dodge / winnie send him a personal message (PM) he will get back to you !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ibdilbert01

Mine had a 340, not a 440.   And I  just put a radiator that would of been used in the same era barracuda.   

In my case, recording cost more than a new radiator, but I had to do some minor mods to make it fit.    A recore would probably be your best bet, and most radiator shops can either do it, or have it sent out and done.   
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

You will not be able to find a "new" replacement radiator for the 440 MH setup.  It was only used in the MH chassis.  You will have to get yours recored.  They do not keep "cores" in stock.  They are made to order.  No big deal as they siimply select the "program" already coded into the computerized machine they use to build the core.
Both inlet and outlet are on passenger side (uncommon setup)
MH radiator has a radiator cap extension on the front (MH only application)
There is a transmission cooler in the bottom cap

You can adapt a "cross-flow" radiator to fit however you may have trouble with the bottom outlet tube.  They are designed for cars which required the bottom hose to be angled upward towards the water pump.  The radiator sits lower in the chassis frame ergo outlet points upward.  The cross flow is about the only one you can get with both inlet and outlet on the passenger side.  You do loose the MH fill extension tube.

Dave
[move][/move]

JDxeper

I could not find a radiator for my 68 F17 winne.  I took all the measurements of the outside of the radiator which bolts to the frame, height, width, position of the inlet and outlet then went to the site where Tim purchased his radiator (http://www.performancecooling.com/servlet/StoreFront). I found a radiator with the dimensions as close to the original or just a shade smaller not larger, figured on doing some minor mods for fitment.  I ended up with a radiator almost the exact size.  Turned out to be a 1949-54 chevy Belaire radiator, with a tranny cooler to boot.  $229.95 delivered.  Recore redo was gonna be over $600.  So with just very small fitment adjustments , we have a brand new 3 row cooling system.  Will also add an electric cooling fan.  Just think out side of the box a little and you can find a great inexpensive radiator. :)clap
The radiator shops that I visited would only look for the OEM replacement, and told me no way unless they coustom make a new one.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

cosmic

Thanks JD. this is exactly what we needed here. How long have you been running your Chevy rad for? have you had any problems? tricks? or learning leasons that we should be aware of before we try to do something similar?
mine is fine for now, but one day i'm going to need one. :)ThmbUp  thanks,

JDxeper

Tim has run his for 2-3 years with no problems. I had other problems, non RV. and have not got back to it.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)