Does your RV have a Transmission temperature gauge?

Started by chicknnhead, February 12, 2013, 03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicknnhead

are you folks using a transmission temp gauge? any pics, do you like the gauge? was it an add on or factory?

thinking of adding one to my dodge 727, i already have a cooler so i was looking to add an electronic one where it goes into the cooler.

been searching ebay for a bit trying to find one that has that 70's/80's orginal look.

Just thought i would see ask what you folks are doing, if anything

thanks
Mick

Oz

I don't have one but, I would have liked to add an aftermarket one... and a pressure guage as well.  You can never know enough about the state of your engine or transmission or coolant... or any, important mechanical system, for that matter.

Not that I'd be using it to graph and chart temperatures and pressures at different ambient temps, altitudes, terrain, traffic conditions or phases of the moon as some mechano-geeks might but, it sure might help tell me if the transmission in running dangerously high (temp gauge) or if I blew a piece of the gasket or line or connection for the trans oil before some mechanical disaster occured (pressure gauge(.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Froggy1936

Yes and it is important to know if trany is running too hot  A sending unit should be in the oil pan not at the oil cooler wich will give a false reading of actual trans temp (would be more a reading of air temp) ! Trans fluid is another color decides need for change Pink to dark red is good to ok brown is need for change black is probably too late !  A temp sending unit in the pan can also give you a drain plug ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

chicknnhead

froggy was thinking if i used the high preasure side line coming out of the trans before it goes into the cooler, it should be the same as the pan temp? the differnence mabe be 1degree from either location, but still be a usable location to know if there is a real problem

DaveVA78Chieftain

I monitor the trans temp on either side of the cooler.  Most 74 and later Class A Winnebago's had a temp gauge built into the center dash section.  It also included a Transmission Oil level idiot light (tranny dip stick mounted) and a radiator water level indicator (sensor at top center of radiator)

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

We have a factory gauge on our 1989 Holiday Rambler Imperial.  The sender ties into a T fitting on one of the transmission cooler lines.  Gauge on the dash is a VDO, factory installed, and seems to be pretty accurate.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

PwrWgnWalt

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on February 15, 2013, 02:57 PM
I monitor the trans temp on either side of the cooler.  Most 74 and later Class A Winnebago's had a temp gauge built into the center dash section.  It also included a Transmission Oil level idiot light (tranny dip stick mounted) and a radiator water level indicator (sensor at top center of radiator)

Dave

Sounds like what's in the '78 Beach-Craft...  interesting if this is the same as Winnebago!  (The electronic trans dipstick is listed in Parts Book, and the gauge appears to be like earlier Dodge truck gauges)
<click for larger images>

close-up (a PO scratched the lens D:oH! )

- Walt
Walt & Tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

Yep, same gauge in a Winnebago.  It was provided as part of the Dodge chassis.

Dave
[move][/move]

chicknnhead

ON my C, in 76 chrysler had an electronic sensor on the end of the dip stick that would light a light under the radio letting you know the trans was low on fluid.

I removed mine because even to check it you had to remove the dog house to check the fluid level, and on trips this was a PITA. so i installed a dip stick from a C 1979and UP, chrysler had fixed this and installed a long tupe and dipstick that you could check via under the hood. it's so nice now...