Battery tray hard to slide out

Started by lazer08671, March 26, 2013, 03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazer08671

Sent: 11/13/2003

I have a 1985 30' Chieftain.  The battery tray contains 3 batteries which is heavy.  Two for the coach and one for the motor.  I had problems sliding the battery tray out.  To fix this I slid the tray to the fullest extent and lightly sanded the top and bottom rails, then applied wheel bearing grease to the top and bottom of the rails.  Works great..  Slides like butter. 
V/R, Lazer...proud owner of 1985 30' Chieftain Winnebago

Photoman

Sent: 11/17/2003

I got worried about my Brave, which I've never taken the batteries out of in the winter, but when I went to check them, I'll be darned if I could get the tray to slide out.  It must have rusted inside the track.  I pounded on it with a hammer, tried to use a crow bar, but no luck. 

Any ideas on how to loosen it up?  I sanded and greased the rails on my Indian when I had the tray slid out, and now it slides in and out slicker than hot snot on a doorknob.  Any ideas on how to free it up?   Photoman
Also owned a 1972 Winnebago D22 Indian

denisondc

Sent: 11/18/2003

My tray has a bolt that connects the tray to the support rails, its not really obvious in the dust n rust. The first time I pulled mine out, after I found the bolt, I used a length of chain connected to a tree beside the tray, and stood on the chain to extract the tray. Even with my smallish batteries and the rails greased, it still requires a good urge to slide out and back in. denison

Sea Hag

Try spraying the sides and underside to with PB Blast penetrating solvent . I didn't think mine slid out at first . for some reason I have to pick the front of the tray up a little before it slides out . It  seams to need a handle retro fitted to it . --- Sea Hag

Oz

OK, here's  the mental picture.  An old motorhome, pulled up near a tree.  This guy is wrapping a chain around the tree.  He has this wild, fanatical look in his eyes and a chit eatin' grin on his face (this always happens whenever he gets within 20' of a Classic Winnie and a clever idea in his head).  He secures the chain on the tree and then, attaches it to his battery box tray.  He raises his arms for balance (sort of like a ring-tail Lemur when it's running), testing the tension of the chain with one foot (now he looks kinda like the Karate Kid doing his crane stance).  The neighbors are phoning each other so they can all watch what he's up to this time.  He hops up to get on the chain but, he's wearing his old, comfy loafers.  You know, the ones that have the sides blown out because he's had them so long he simply couldn't part with them?  Anyway,... whooops!  The slick soles slide off in opposite directions and he drops down on the chain.  OWWWW!  Night in the Ruts!  Desperately grasping his saddle horn with both hands,  he keels over while raucous snickering can be heard round about the neighborhood. 

After the black-out passes, Dave gets up and tries again.  THIS time, grasping a branch for balance.  Up he goes.  He begins bouncing up-an-down, up-and-down, like a tightrope entertainer and, the folks around town are certainly getting their money's worth.  But Dave is oblivious!  He is a man with a mission.  He continues.  Finally, the battery tray succumbs to Dave's whithering determination!  With a rebel yell of triumph, he topples forward and puts a new, forehead size dent in the side of his Indian. 

As his wife, Juanita, leads him toward the car to take him to the emergency room, Dave peers through the fog of his concussion, a sparkle in his eye, as he looks back at the fruit of his victory.  The battery tray is has been freed!

(Well, maybe it didn't happen exactly like that)

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

Hmm, I see the winter Winnie dreams are starting to settle in.

Dave
[move][/move]

Photoman

My tray has a bolt (without a nut) that drops into a hole that's drilled through both of the box shaped rails(when the tray is slid all the way in) on the right side. It's purpose I believe is to prevent the tray from possibly sliding out when taking a hard right turn. (If only I could be so lucky!) Yes, I have removed the bolt before trying to slide the tray out.

LOL I like your idea, Denison, of using a chain, but how did you fasten the chain to the tray? It would help if there were at least handles on the tray to get a grip on. The hooked end of a crow bar isn't getting the job done. I'll try Sea Hag's advice and spray penetrating oil on the underside of the tray and the rails as best I can. I really think the problem is inside the rails, and it's hard to get anything inside there. I'll let you know what happens. Photoman

jughead

My battery tray was also hard to pull out. I finally got it open sanded and greased it,then took took a drive,turned the corner and the whole tray slid out with the door still locked lol,,, numby...

Mine also has a bolt to lock it from movin.... NOW  !!!!!  LOL NUMBY..
D:oH!

denisondc

I was able to pry up one edge of the wooden board that sits in the tray frame, and get the snatch hook of the chain onto that edge. If yours is really stuck, is it possible somebody jacked up the RV using the bottom of the battery support, instead of a frame rail. That would pinch the support I think.

Lefty

Sent: 11/20/2003

PB Blaster (Part # PB16) is an excellent penetrate. Another one is Open Gear Lube in a spray can (available at, you guessed it.. NAPA)  lol  Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Photoman

I finally was able to get my battery tray slid out today.  I was able to get it inched out just enough to slip a heavy rope down behind the back of the tray. (Actually I doubled the rope)  Then I tied both ends of the rope onto my hitch on my mini-van.  I inched forward until the rope was good & tight and then stood on the rope, like Denison said he did with his chain around a tree.  It still wouldn't budge, so I hopped in the van and very very slowly gave it some gas & the tray popped loose & started sliding out.  I inched it out very carefully that way, making sure I didn't pull it farther than the stop on the bottom of the tray.

I also made sure I was pulling the tray straight out and not at an angle.  With the tray fully extended, I crawled under and sanded all four sides of both rails, wiped them clean, and then liberally applied grease to all four sides.  I thought I'd be able to easily slide the tray back in, but no way.  I ended up having to lay flat on my back and kick the tray back in by alternately kicking first one side then the other with the heel of my boots.  I left enough space on the back side to slide the rope through in case I have to pull the tray out again the same way.  Photoman