Will replacing paneling or wall covering interfere with window installation?

Started by Elandan2, December 08, 2008, 12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dslask

Sent: 4/27/2008 9:46 AM

i've read some posts about reskining over the old walls with new paneling. i'm stumped?? does'nt that create a problem with reinstalling the windows, since the windows sandwich or clamp over the wall. is'nt there a gap left over between the clamping ring and the window? like say 1/8 of an inch. does this really work or not? i could really use some help with this. i'd like to reskin the walls if possible.

Froggy1936

Sent: 4/27/2008 12:54 PM

The easiest way is adhesive contact paper (vinyl) The hardest part is getting the original walls degreased / clean or the new will peel you can install over the window frames then trim with a razor to make a very good fitting at all openings There is a large selection of solids and patterns and colors at Big Lots cheap Also very easy to clean one drawback is it does not like to be banged into tears fairly easy If lifting becomes a problem later 3M spray adhesive will hold forever Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

dslask

Sent: 4/27/2008 2:45 PM

using contact paper does sound easier. but i have a couple area's that are not in very good shape (water damage). thats why i was wanting to use wood. but the windows got me stumped.

Froggy1936

Sent: 4/27/2008 5:10 PM

You can take the inner frame off the window without disturbing the outer seal (window to outer wall) and then you can see how the wall is made The original panel is all 1 piece Outer aluminum skin glued to styerfoam filler with inner sheet of luan plywood glued to styerfoam approx total thickness of 1 inch with a steel channel every ? ft (i think its 4 ft) original new panels are available the outer skin is 1 peice frt to rear i think. some where on this site is a better explanation. Frank.
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ibdilbert01

Sent: 27/04/2008 6:28 PM

In some areas I put wood paneling over my old paneling. Not sure how much the windows construction varied over the years, but mine is a 72. My windows are held in by the inside frame and screws. The wall is sandwiched between the outside window and the inside window frame. If you unscrew the inside frame nothing will be holding the window in other than sealer or silicone on the other side. Adding the paneling didn't change anything except adding a little more than an 1/8th in thickness, but everything still screwed back together. Had there been an issue, I would of replaced the screws with longer ones.   
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

dslask

Sent: 01/05/2008 8:56 PM

thats the answer i was looking for. just slip the new paneling under the window clamping ring and go for it. thanks. i'll give it a try.