Any Asbestos in old RV appliances? Stoves etc.

Started by oilmaninpowell, May 26, 2013, 01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oilmaninpowell

I have a fobia about Asbestos. I threw out a nice vintage RV stove not long ago just to be on the safe side. But is there any Asbestos in old RV stoves (1970's) or is usually just pink insulation.

LJ-TJ

I don't mean to make light of your concerns.
But I can't take it any more with all this Asbestos stuff. Look back where all this crap started. It was when some guy showed up at the doctors office and they discovered he had lung cancer. When they asked what he did for a living he told them he work in an asbestos mine. After some research they discovered that asbestos was the possible cause. What they didn't tell you was back in the day the miners didn't were any masks when working in the mine and obviously day after day after day it's going to have an effect on your lungs and you may get lung cancer. If their theory held up there'd be a hole lot more people dead with lung cancer from this stuff. Shoot they used it on battleships, they used it in old octopus furnaces in just about every house in Canada and the U.S.,they even used it in Johns Masnvillsiding for houses and barns. If ya jumped in a barrel of this stuff and started throwing it around and breathing it yeah you might get sick. The powers to be have scared the hell out of people and turned this nonsense into a billion dollar business. Pretty much anything you or I will ever run into in our life time won't effect us one bit. It's like having window sills with lead paint on them. Any idea how much it cost to have a crew come in and remove it. Shoot we've lived with it all our lives. People are still living with it and doing just fine. Who lets there kid suck on a window sill any way. Aside from working in an asbestos mine I wouldn't worry about it. Your more likely to get run over by a car first.

Oz

The insulation is a fiberglass type weave.  The same stuff used in house ranges.  I'm doubting very much that it would have any asbestos in it as mice just love to nest in it.  However, if you have any concerns, you can get new, replacement insulation on-line or at a major hardware retailer.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

oilmaninpowell

Fobias don't work on rational thought LJ. ;-) I still don't want any asbestos in my life.

Froggy1936

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

Whether there is a reality to asbestos being a cause of lung cancer or mesothelioma, or it's a money-making scheme is irrelevant to the person posting the question, especially since specifically cited, independent documentation to prove that it's just a conspiracy theory was not provided for support.  In fact, continuous inhalation of degraded asbestos will cause Asbestosis.  That is documented and a plethora of info and case studies can be easily found.  However, this is not the place to conduct moral and ethical debates anyway so...

... the bottom line is, if they don't want it, they don't want it.  Seems pretty simple.

As I said, it's not asbestos but if you still feel uncomfortable, replace it with new stuff - Topic solved.

oilmaninpowell

LJ-TJ

>Grin< Noted and Filed. No offence intended. Mark your such a Diplomat.>GRIN< 

Oz

I'm sure there wasn't, TJ.  I know you and I know there are many social topics which are frustrating and just plain maddening and... quite debatable on all sides.  That's why I keep it as a stip that such topics are best left off the boards here.  We're a great bunch and this is a place to we can all take a time-out from all those types of daily turmoil.  And, my response isn't meant to be rude either.  It's just, matter-of-fact.  I need to cover a lot of area on a daily basis here and I often don't take the time to show "good" diplomacy, which I really should to avoid unintended hard feelings.

Espiritus

Just kidding, but I understand the issue. I clearly remember a HAIR DRYER that I had in the early 70's that had, in bold lettering, "shielded with Asbestos" implying that it was a better unit because it HAD asbestos to keep the heat in the unit.

Boy have times changed. . .

Now I am more worried about black mold. . .and this damn Cattle Dog that thinks she is supposed to ride in the driver side chair. . .and I keep telling her that while she CAN drive cattle and sheep, she CANNOT drive the RV.

To the PO, if it bothers you, have it tested. It's a simple mail in thing. Then you will know for sure. Hang in there.

Oz

Another "hot" topic - Radon gas in basements.

ClydesdaleKevin

We ain't got no basement!   :D

Kev  :)rotflmao
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

So long as you have less than 4 picocuries per liter (pCi/L) you don't have to mitigate the gas with a system.  I used to test for and mitigate radon problems in Upstate NY...  :)    And when doing a home inspection, unless the asbestos tile or siding was friable, you have nothing to worry about.

Fredric

P.S. During my many hours of research, no Asbestos was used in the manufacture of RV's (Coach or Chassis) short of using it in brake padsand even that isn't actual "asbestos" as we know the "bad stuff"..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

Awesome, I have less that .04 porcupines living in my gas system.  No asbestos - Topic more solved.  :D