Draining fresh water lines?

Started by coolman, July 08, 2013, 09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolman

I just bought a 1989 Winnebago Super Chief 31RQ are there low point drains for the hot and cold water lines or will I have to use compressed air to clear the lines.

OldEdBrady

I put a spigot in the lowest point in my trailer.  When I need to, I open ALL faucets and open that thing and drain the lines.  I have a small pex line that goes through the bottom of my trailer from that "faucet."  It's always worked for me, and prevented any lines from ice and freezing.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Winnebago typically does provide low point drains however they only post plumbing diagrams back to 1990.  You will have to contact Winnebago for the plumbing diagrams for your rig.

Dave
[move][/move]

tiinytina

Our 1987 Tiffin has no low point drains, thus bought diverter kit and pump the pink antifreeze...  also don't forget to put half a cup of antifreeze into each sink / shower drain so no water sits in the U-joints to freeze there....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Oz

I didn't have any low point drains in my '74.  The plumbing had been replaced with PVC and PEX.  I had an on-demand pump and I would open the water heater drain valve and run the pump until I was getting almost only air and I'd leave the faucets open in the winter.  For 6 northern winters, I never used any anti-freeze and never had anything burst or leak.

I'm not saying not to use anti-freeze but, I wanted to see what happened by doing this so yeah, I was taking a chance and using anti-freeze is the most prudent thing to do.  This was just my experience and it saved me having to flush out the anti-freeze.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

coolman

Thanks all for the info gives me some great ideas.
This motorhome sat in a barn and the owner only put 1000 miles in ten years.
Trying to put all the systems back in order including the most important the plumbing.
The wife likes here hot showers LOL