413 Dip stick broke What's the Engine Oil Capacity

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 21, 2008, 06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevsws6

Sent: 1/18/2004 8:45 PM

The dip stick broke off and I had to drop the pan and all. I bought a new generic dip stick. I think I cut the install height wrong. 6 quarts on a oil and filter change should be full right?

Sent: 1/20/2004 12:39 PM

A normal 727 tranny oil and filter change would be close to but not exactly 6 qts.
The dipstick tube on my 72 winny’s 727 and my spare 727 tranny are the same length, and the dipsticks are identical, with the same mopar # 2580311. The parts catalog shows this being the same p.n. for all 727 dipsticks from 1969 through 1977. The ‘full-warm’ mark on the 2580311 is about 21.25 inches down the dipstick's length, from where it seats against the top rim of the dipstick tube. And of course you measure the fluid level while idling in neutral, not in park.
The dipstick p.n. for the 1978 and later 727s is different, because things were getting fancy, but the ‘full’ fluid level might be the same. denison

Sent: 1/20/2004 4:21 PM

Thanks Denison, but I meant the engine oil dip stick. I should have been more clear. 6 quarts on a engine oil filter change. I'm sure both the dodge 413 and 440 had the same oil capacity but what is it? I have the owners manual on the 318 cause that's what mine was originally.

Thanks Kevin

Sent: 1/20/2004 7:04 PM

The 413 and 440 have the same capacities listed in the manual as the 318 does - 6 U.S. quarts plus one more if you change the filter. My dipstick also broke off. I changed the oil, put in the 6 quarts, and using a choke cable with the center wire removed, made up a dipstick from the coiled cable sheath, so it would stick 1 inch down into the oil. Then I hoked up a grip to keep it from going further in. It was about 40 or 41 inches long I think. denison. 

Sent: 1/21/2004 2:16 PM

Ok that's 7 quarts on a oil and filter change. Thanks a bunch. Now its time to cut it to the correct height.

Sent: 9/21/2004 9:20 PM

Today I changed oil and filter on my rig ( 440-3 ) put in 7 qts and nothing shows on dip stick, oil pressure is normal, and no leaks.....anybody know the lenght of the dip stick, could it be the wrong one. I measured oil that was drained, 8 qts came out. I know the capacity is supposed to be 7 qts with a filter change, but a note at the bottom of the page of the Winnebago owners manual it says, " Specifications and Design Subject to Change Without Notice. "
Aynbody else have an 8 qt system on the 440? Filter is not oversized it's a Fram PH 43, filter that came off was a Wix 51058. Seat seal on both filters are the same, and line up with ring perfictly, so it is the correct filter.
Any guesses? The lenght of my dip stick is:
45" from tip to stop on pull.
Thanks, 
Timmy

Sent: 9/23/2004 6:27 PM

Timmy,

I still have the same problem. I put 7 quarts in and the stick measures 1 quart low. I just couldn't believe it would hold that much oil. I'll measure my stick when I get a chance. I swore I got the length right when I checked it against the old one. My RV is parked off site so it will be a few weeks till my next trip.

Kev