Original LP tank from 84... should I replace?

Started by aaron7, July 22, 2013, 07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron7

When it comes to BBQ grilles I know they won't fill a tank that's older than 10(?) years due to worry that the tank may leak/explode/what have you.

So why are RV's any different? This rig from 84 we just picked up has a freshly filled original tank. Big brown rusty thing underneath.
Or, are they no different, and has it simply been neglected?
I'd really like a new tank regardless. New piping too but might not be able to get that carried away!  :)

Oz

Not uncommon to have the rusty, frame mounted tank.  Replacing the tank can be pretty expensive.  Refurbishing it is often the best option.  The 10 year rule applies to upright, refillable tanks but not frame mounted tanks.  Also, whether or not an upright has an OPD valve (the newer, safety valve) is also why they won't refill uprights.

As far as I know, these issues don't apply to frame mounted tanks but, I'd invite people who have them provide their input for sure.

In the time it takes to find a frame mounted tank which will fit, at a price you can agree with, and doesn't require any refurbishing... I think you'd be able to empty and dismount yours, refurbish it for very, very little money, and reinstall it many times over.  That, of course, is only my opinion but, it's what I would do.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

The biggest reason the frame mounted tanks do not pose the same threat as a BBQ portable tank is that it doesn't become a missile hazard should the valve have "sudden separation syndrome".  Also the connections for refilling are different.

And though you do not have to get them inspected regularly, I would inspect them often and if they show signs of rust, remove it and re-paint with rust control paint.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

aaron7

Good to know guys! I'll make sure to have the whole system inspected.