Ok Weird VIN # Issues, DMV Title has Serial #

Started by James E Vining, August 02, 2013, 02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

So Awhile back I had asked some questions about serial #'s VS. VIN #'s and My # on my Title did not match any explanation to what the VIN # should look like or even have the correct Alpha characters it was all Numeric though it was 13 Digits long.
It matched perfectly to the Winnebago Serial # Located on the drivers side interior under the armrest.
Today I was under the Passenger Side of vehicle and I noticed on frame what appeared to be a couple #'s so I sanded and Wire brushed it down so I could read them and Kapow it looks like I found the correct #'s
The # on the Title and the Interior is. 3013206107411.
As you can see that is nothing like the VIN# Explanation is supposed to have.
The Frame # is. H31BG1S363466 now that looks more like a VIN #.
So what should I do about the Title having the serial # or first # on it rather then the correct frame or VIN #

James E Vining

Oh Great now I am even more confused I cannot seem to find where it explains how to interpret the VIN # but I seem to think the first letter is not supposed to be a H, problem is it is not imprinted into the frame real well and alll I can see if what looks like a H even after sanding down and removing all rust etc. so I guess it should be a M, Does the rest of the #'s look correct to anyone?
M31BG1S363466, If I change the H to a M does that sound correct?
WAIT, I double checked and it has to be a H as it has the crossbar and a M does not have a _ in the middle of the to vertical lines.
So what the heck do I have going on here?
I have found that the H is different and so is the 3rd Digit 1 (0=Motorhome chassis) 4th digit B?? ( What GVW is a B book does not show) all the rest of numbers seem correct after the B.
H3= ?
1= ?
B =?
G=318-3 correct
1= 1971 Correct
S=Warren I assume correct
363466=Building sequence I have no clue if it was the 363,466 one built or not

Oz

There's a Dodge VIN decoder link to the right on the side bar.

The H3 would be correct - M300 (no M3 designation exists
1 = conventional cab
B= 6,001 - 10,000lbs

As for the one you found in the coach. Yes, it has nothing to do with the chassis.  It is the coach VIN.

Some places, like in Florida, either one can be used on a title.  Such was the case with the Itasca I bought. 

The problem was, I lived in PA at the time and PA ONLY recognizes chassis VIN.  Thankfully, I had a good associate at a local notary who'd been doing title work for over 30 years and knows everybod in the PENDOT department so, I was able to get the issue resolved pretty quickly.

Anyway, the coach VIN is pretty much useless for anything other than telling you what year the coach was made (which can be different from the chassis).

The location of the chassis VIN can be in a few different places.  There's a topic posted on that.

On the outside of the frame in line with the altenator, behind the front grill on the nose crossmember and... inside the door, on the left, or for those of us lucky enough... like my 74 Indians, on the outside, to the left of the door.

You can request a form to be submitted to use the chassis frame VIN entered on you title.  It requires a pencil rubbing done by a mechanic and notorized, plus the cost of having a new title made. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

James E Vining

Thanks, OMG I see the VIN decoder now plain as day on Right Side dodad
Sorry about that man maybe I need newer glasses even those these are only like 2 months old LOL.

James E Vining

Interesting I am not sure what a Conventional cab means exactly maybe it has nothing to do with Winnebago?
Well I live in Oregon and so far they have no problem using the Winnebago S/N so as long as I don't have to change states I think i'll be ok.

Shalydra

If it helps any, At least you only need to deal with 2. My tiny little trailer actually has 3 VIN's. One from the frame manufacturer, one from the 'trailer' manufacturer. and an arbitrary one from the 'state' because neither of the first two conform to the number of digits the state's computer system recognizes as a 'VIN'. Ironically, the trailer, and frame were both manufactured in the same state i have it registered in, California.  :)rotflmao