Awning preventive maintenance repair...need some input.

Started by ArPauly, August 14, 2013, 11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArPauly

I have five-year-old awnings that spent their first two years mostly rolled up and exposed to the sun in Blyth, California (not far from Death Valley), and now live in Northwest Arkansas.  The top three inches of each awning on our 77' Winnebago has turned white (all of the color is gone) and they are getting a bit crusty and brittle up there.  The rest of the awnings, when they are opened up, are flexible and maintain their color.  My questions are: if I apply a product like the Camco Awning Repair Tape will it make these things last a few more years?...or, is there another product that I'm not aware of that will do a better job?  I guess I have an additional question here: If the Camco tape works well, why not make it in  something other than clear to help hide the repair?

I suspect that these questions have been asked in the past...but forgive me: I'm new to this terrific site, and look forward to exchanges of information.

Stripe

Never used camco tape, but is it possible to cut off the affected area and reattatch the remainder?
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ArPauly

The affected area involves only 3-4", so they could probably be corrected that way.  However, trying to avoid the "Awning Shop" and the associated expense.  I figure that in another year or two they will need to be replaced anyway...so just looking for a cheap, easy, temporary fix for now.

Stripe

Do the work yerself!  ;)
Undo the spring tension, unroll the awning, make  the cut, recycle the long plastic stick that holds the material in and boom, your there..

It's probably way harder to do than the way it's described, but hey, you won't know that till you're already headlong into the project..   :angel:
Fredric,

ArPauly

Alright...I'm willing to try this.  I have never messed with awnings.  So, do I understand that there is no sewing involved...just a plastic rod held in place by friction?  If that's the case, I'll search around for a video to tell me about the 'tension spring'.  I've done garage doors without killing myself, so feel confident that this can be done.  Thanks again for the help.  Paul

Oz

Message search - > awning tension < -

In addition, we have downloadable manuals on awnings in the Member area, Manuals & Diagrams section (along with lots more on appliances, air conditioners, etc.)

You may also find some useful info with - > awning fabric < -
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Your welcome and by all means do a search on the term Mark posted..  Lots o info here on that tensioning.  Especially going to need to get the right info for the right product installed on your Rig..

Fredric,