Dometic RM 66E How to test to see if it has refrigerant still??

Started by James E Vining, August 06, 2013, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

I have a Dometic RM 66E I believe it said on the Info Tag, I have never used Fridge and it has been siting for at least 5 years Since 2008 with me and I have no Idea how long Before that. I know the 120 V section was Disconnected (Via Wires being cut and removed) and the LPG line was Removed, Not sure if it was due to someone stealing the Copper or some other reason.
I cleaned out the Burner and got it working correctly but after running for say 30 min I got no Gurgles ( Which I heard when working on my parents  fridge in their trailer that they have never used) I assume the Fridge should gurgle or do something with the propane burner on but wanted to make sure it had something in it before I wasted more time and propane etc. The 120 V Element is Burnt out so I cannot plug it in or I would.

James E Vining

Well, I went and read about Burping a Fridge Did not think it pertained to me as I wanted to know if it could of lost Ammonia Substance but I figured what the heck, easy enough to remove so I did and first time upside down I heard a Faint Gurgle for a second, left it upside down for 5 min then tipped it back over to wash it heard a more pronounced gurgle actually 2 gurgles, finished washing it  about 10 min tipped it over again and this time it sounded like i was draining a 2 liter bottle a ton of gurgles. I think it may have fixed it will fire it up in a couple hours and see what I get now.

intofire1

My refig sat for five years and a friend of mine did just what you did and it has worked just fine for the past ten years. I first throught that he was crazy.  D:oH!
Gil in LA CA

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DELTA912

I have a D RM66. Nice fridge. Small and Easy to use. I put 110V power to mine and let it sit for 3 hours on setting 4. Runs and is SUPER COLD. BIG ++ for me.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

James E Vining

I would of Tried the AC But Found the Heating Element was shorted, SO I played Sumer Sault the Fridge a few Times Hooked up a Propane tank and Let her rip, I figure if its outside on the Concrete I don't have to worry about MH burning down if something goes south LOL.  Have my 2 12 packs of Pop in it now LOL will have cold POP in the morning I hope I know freezer works amazingly well.

James E Vining

Man I must Thank Everyone here so much for all the awesome info, I see teh fridges run from anywhere around $800 to well over $1500 and I was able to get mine working by burping and running on Propane for about 5 hours.
I have had it out of MH in my Driveway (leveled of course) and it has ran since I started this post on propane and it works amazingly well much better then i would ever expect.
I put 2 12 packs of pop in that was well above 90 degrees from sitting in garage and by next morning (8 Hours later) they were so cold I could barely drink them that to me is amazing since It has not functioned in well over 6 years.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DELTA912

$800 for my RM66 if it works??  $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@!  I have mine Listed in Sac for $250 with no bites. This state (CA) Sucks big blocks.. People out here don't know a deal if it hit them in the face...

I'll keep mine, The temp for mine On 110V was 40F fridge and -10F freezer. That's Beer temp there guys..(Well 38F is but thats ok)

Dial setting was at 4.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!