Toilet removal?

Started by Sonnys_Toy, May 12, 2009, 11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonnys_Toy

Sent: 5/26/2008

Finally got water supply fixed to '79 Winnie Travel Trailer, BUT...I had 2 water leaks...rusted out water heater and water line behind toilet.  Put in an electric water heater that solved....but ran into problem..How to you remove an Aqua Magic SL/HL toilet?  Have to remove it to get to busted line, and no way to access without removing the toilet...any ideas?....Sonny

Froggy1936

Hi Sonny, There are 2 studs with nuts holding it down The front one you can reach from opening at foot pedals the rear one you can see with the help of a mirror ( or if you are lucky there is a round plug on the top of the unit that you can remove and reach the nut with a long 3/8 extension) Its basically the same as a house toilet Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

rayckc2

In my 1978 Minnie Winnie, the PO had glued the toilet to the floor.  The normal RV shop couldn't do anything.  I had my coach repair company cut it out.  They made a new custom metal plate and attached a new toilet to it.

kevinsoto

Sent: 5/27/2008

I had to remove mine from our '73 Brave. I think it is an aqua magic(Thetford) toilet as well. Access to the bolt in front is through the foot pedal  and the rear bolt through a small cover on the top rear of the toilet. It would not hold water and was leaking onto the floor, yuck!! I had to take it all apart and repair the bowl and lubed the seals with a special waterproof silicone lube I had laying around that I use on  for my pool filter. So far its holding water and is not leaking on the floor but the plastic is shot and the whole toilet will need replacing but for weekend use it should last quite awhile.
good luck with yours.
Kevin

Sonnys_Toy

Sent: 5/28/2008

Thanks for the information..found them..[bolts] and found busted connection at valve connection......have brand new ceramic that I may put in for better have...[she said it felt like she was sitting on the floor with old one]......

Froggy1936

Sent: 5/28/2008

Sonny they make an extension that sits on the floor and the toilet mounts on top of (raises unit 2 in) available at camping world Frank

Sonnys_Toy

Sent: 5/29/2008

Thank you for the heads up..

Dave Burden

I'm just about done replacing the flooring on our '75 Chieftain and am at the point of removing the toilet to get rid of the carpet around it. I checked the topics on removing it and noticed the trouble getting to the rear bolt.  Turns out the PO of our coach cut a 4" square hole in the wall behind the toilet from the 'trunk' in the back of the body.  This hole allows easy access to the water connections and the rear bolt for the toilet.  A cover on the hole from the trunk side stops any unwanted visitors. 

Dave
ex - 1975 Chieftain 25'
1977 Tonka Mighty Winnebago 23"

newrvguy

I have a 1987 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 27' with a P30 Chassis, and I wanted to know if the toilet flange for aqua magic(Thetford) toilet is a screw in type or is it part of the tank?  How do I remove the flange?

Froggy1936

New Guy my original black water tank had a screw in fitting for a threaded pipe from the flange. The replacement was the same way . I will bet they are all screw in,s  It was regular thread. You may be able to see where the pipe goes into the tank with a mirror ?  I put a couple bolts into the flange and put a long screwdriver across the top and it came loose pretty easily .

Oz

We have downloadable manuals on Thetford commodes (and tons of other appliances and more) in the member area.  Good to have those when you want to do work on things.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tiinytina

The flange on the old aqua magic that came with our 1987 P60 Tiffin was bolt on with a gasket.  You may have to replace the gasket.  when we replace the carpet with laminate we were able to unbolt it and replaced it. 

Tina
FYI if you also replace the commode make sure you purchase one that is a direct fit to the existing base bolt pattern. 
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!