Electrical Clicking in converter?

Started by Stripe, January 21, 2014, 11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

There seems to be a new electrical flip flopping going on in my converter.  New sound too.  What happens is there is clicking noise and when that happens the volt/amp meter Jumps then recenters and if there are any coach lights on, they flick low and high, any ideas?

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

legomybago

Could be your automatic transfer switch.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Froggy1936

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

M & J

It forgot the words? Wait, that would be humming.....

is it a regulated converter that also charges your coach batteries? You might have a bad cell/battery that it's trying to recharge and switches in and out.
M & J

gadgetman

The converter should have its own fuse block, pull all the fuses. If it still clicks you have likely have a bad converter. If it stops clicking install one fuse at a time to see if a circuit load is very high causing the problem. Its likely a bad converter.

Stripe

Thanks for the replies.. 
It never got the script to memorize the word..  :)rotflmao
I'll check all batteries, then if all are good, I will do the fuse test.
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

That's what I thought it might be...something, maybe a short, drawing way too much current and causing the converter to turn off and on based on the heat build up.  Not sure how other converters work, but with the Powermax Boondocker we have, if it overheats it shuts down, then comes back on when the temp drops.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

When it comes to older rigs, first question always has to be, what brand and model of converter is it?  Each mfg did their own thing when designing them.  Nice part is we have the electrical schematics for most of the older units.  For some, we even have pretty pictures of the innards.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Hehe, Good question, I'll have a look at the manual.  Forgot I had the bloody thing.. :-[
Fredric,

Stripe

DIT, DIT, DIT, DIT, DAH, DAH, DIT, DIT, DIT....  NEWSFLASH!!!

UPDATE: SEATTLE, WASHINGTON

This just in:  After taking the advice of Dave VA 78 Chieftain and Old Rock and Roller, our intrepid explorer traced the lines going to the appliances in the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose".  What he discovered and took photos of will shock and amaze! (those with weak constitutions are advised to look away now)....  When confronted by reporters, the Captain of the "Aluminum Goose" responded with, "I should have this fixed up in no time.".
Good Luck from this reporter!!

All pics can be clicked to enlarge.
Here is a shot from the side to give an idea of where the discovery lay.  Just behind the right rear wheels above the Mor-Ryd system.

You can see the rubbed area.

Next you get a better idea of the rubbing damage...

Gets worse.

Look away now to those forewarned..  You can see the bare wire..

Ghastly...

Last but not least..

Mmmm, home made Chicken Pot Pie!!

Wait, How'd that get in there?!?!
Fredric,

M & J

Well done.

And thanks for the props.
M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

Ahh, the rabbit trail led to such a sweet tasting pie.  Glad to hear you tracked it down to what was causing the auto resetting CB's to trip.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

NOt unusual issue.  Another place to be concerned with is the brake line holding clamps.  They wear through the metal brake lines from vibration and flexing also.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Good job finding it!  That looks a lot like what was wrong with the power windows in the K5 Blazer.  The wire loom from body to door was worn right through showing bare wires...once fixed, the windows worked.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Okay, wire spliced, no more overheat or clicking. Will do fix tomorrow to keep it from rubbing again.

Fredric
Fredric,

circleD

WELL! I looked under my HR today and didn't see any pie  :)rotflmao or bare wires "yet". Now I have another task to put down to get done.