Replacing dash TV with larger one?

Started by gbooth, January 26, 2014, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbooth

I have a 89 pace arrow that has the small tv up front between the drivers seat and passenger seat. Has anyone removed this old tv and replaced it with a new digital one. I would like to remove the old one and fit the new one in the same spot. The old one is rather small and the new one would be a lot bigger and wont fit back in the same spot. Has anyone done this swap?  what kind of bracket did you use?  will the oringal antennea pick up the digital signal?   Thanks for any advice   Greg

Oz

That can be quite an elaborate modification, considering what's behind the TV, the way the dash molding is shaped, how it's attached, and if you were to install a larger one, how to do it without looking like a hack job and not interfere with anything else in, around, or behind it.

Most of the TV changes we've seen have been putting them up above the windshield, either integrated into the storage compartment area or on a pull-down mount.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

Have a look at my album...

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=3937

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=3930

Is that like the TV you are referring to?

If so, you can remove it, and a 19" will fit in the space... but you have to mount it to a swivel wall mount, so it can go in the cabinet at an angle when not needed. That way the doors close.

This is how it looks pulled out. You pull it out until the whole tv is out of the cabinet, then center it up between the doors. (yes, it IS crooked... but I straightened it after the picture was taken... lol)

This is the TV with it in the cabinet at an angle so the doors can be closed. All you do is pull the tv outward, push the end farthest away from the wall the mount is attached to into the cabinet first. then push the tv into the cabinet until it clears the doors. The wall mount allows enough travel to do this.

Here is a shot of the wall mount I used. I simply attached it to the inner wall of the cabinet with screws that were short enough to not penetrate all the way thru the sidewall... As for position, I had to hold the mount and tv up where I wanted it to center the opening... and factor in that it needed to still be able to come forward enough to get the far edge back in. Confusing, but it will make sense once you start mounting it. Mount it too far in the cabinet and you can't move the tv to the side enough to get the edge back in... it has to go in one edge first so it can go in at an angle.

here is a shot of the backside of the TV, showing the type of mount I am referring to. note that it has two arms to articulate at. It also swivels at the mount right at the TV.. The three swivel points are what allows it to be moved freely enough to accomplish going into and out of the cabinet.

And finally, here is a shot of the new flatscreen closed up in the original cabinet ready to travel. No modifications to the cabinetry or doors were needed... and when closed you wouldn't know it had been changed.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Lefty

As for your other question regarding the antenna..

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,5963.msg22826.html#msg22826

My comment is the second one in that topic, it pretty much explains it.

for more information, just type in "Digital Antenna" in the search box in the upper right of the page. There are lots of results to read.

gbooth

Thanks for the replys I should have mention that the tv really isnt in the lower dash but in the consel hanging down from the top.

Lefty

"I should have mention that the tv really isnt in the lower dash but in the consel hanging down from the top."

Umm, Yeah that woulda helped. :P

I'd pull the old TV, and take a long look at the space it was in. You may be able to make a bracket or something. Maybe a 1"X6" mounted either vertically or horizontally in the center of the opening could serve as a secure point to mount a flatscreen tv mount to? Stained and cleared to match the old cabinetry? Your biggest obstacle is going to be that new HDTV's are widescreens... To get one tall enough to cover the openings height, will result in it being far wider than the old opening. That may or may not be an issue, depending on what it will cover up. for your type of install, a simple flat wall mount will work.
Like this style:
http://www.amazon.com/Swift-Mount-SWIFT400-AP-Profile-26-47/dp/B007Y4TULA/ref=sr_1_17?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1390867879&sr=1-17&keywords=vesa+articulating+wall+mount

TV mounts are sold according to the estimated weight of the Tv they will be holding. As a general Rule of Thumb, I get a size rated at least double the weight of the TV I'm mounting if it's in an RV or Travel Trailer...because RV's bounce and shake, and move around...which can stress the mount.

joanfenn

My plan would be to mount new TV beside cupboard and turn the old TV cupboard into a liquor cabinet. :D

gbooth

I like the Idea of removing thr old tv getting a mount to put in old spot I am not getting a large tv 21 inch at most so will hang over around about 2 to 3 inches on both sides. Thanks for all the help

Greg

M & J

M & J

joanfenn

Oz

Well, even though it wasn't stated originally where the TV was located (I thought it was in the console from the description too), it did give Lefy a great opportunity to share that awesome modification with us.  I'm sure it piqued a lot of interest!

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

gbooth

I agree with that as well, and the shots of his tv and bracket is what gave me the idea on how to mount the new tv.  Thanks ever so much for all the Replys'

Greg

bluebird

I removed a 13" overhead tv in my Challenger, and replaced it with a 20 in lcd. I used a 2x6 screwed side to side in the cabinet. Then used a non movable wall mount to mount the tv because I didn't want it moving around while driving. I bought the widest mount I could find on E-bay, think it was less than 10 bucks. It was a challenge to get the screws tight, but it works very well. Didn't think about taking pics while I was doing it. I also bought the add on for the batwing antenna for digital signal. It works pretty good. Some lcd tvs don't have a digital tuner in them, be careful what you buy.

ClydesdaleKevin

Since we only watch TV in the bedroom, I removed the in dash TV and put an oak cabinet door to fit in the opening and match the existing cabinetry.  Eventual plan is to relocate the dash CD player to the front of this oak door, and maybe a GPS.  In the bedroom we hung a big 34 inch LCD flatscreen right on the wall...worked out great since the bathroom cabinets are behind that wall, so I was able to add oak supports in the cabinets, then drill through and screw the TV to the wall directly.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Let's see if I got this right. You got one hot looking chick sitting in your jeep......and you put a TV in your bedroom?????? You and me got to talk. D:oH!

M & J

Dont get Kevin started about where he mounted his new mirrors..........
M & J

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Lefty

"Some lcd tvs don't have a digital tuner in them.."

If you buy a tv that was made after 2008, it will have a digital tuner. That was the year that all new tv's were required to have them. There are however, monitors... which have no tv tuner in them at all. You can use a monitor hooked up to a sat. tv reciever, or a dvd/home theater system.. provided it has the correct inputs (usually monitors have either HDMI, Component (Red,Green,Blue),DVI, or VGA).. They will not however work when hooked up to cable boxes or to a roof antenna, as both require a tv tuner.

bluebird

Not all, I thought that too. Had my wife pick up one on a black Friday sale in 2010. Didn't put it in the MH till the next spring, when I found out it wasn't digital. I tried to take it back but was too late. It does have better speakers in it than the ones made today. I don't mind using a converter box. The 22 in. I bought last fall is 12v and does have a better picture, but the speakers leave some to be desired.