2 blown tires in 3 weeks. possible over inflated

Started by JerryP, November 07, 2016, 02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

Wanted to share my reason experience, and RV camping learning curve Hm?
3 weeks ago, we were coming home in my Chieftain 23RC, and getting on the I65 ramp from Barren River, I heard a loud pop, and thought I had hit something, but could not see anything in the mirror, and the RV drove fine. A week a later I was checking the tires before we went out again to Lincoln State Park, and the inside rear wheel was empty, so I tried to fill it, and noticed the air was coming out a big hole in the sidewall. Went to the tire shop, and got another tire put on, and was off to Lincoln State park, for halloween, no problems.
Friday we took off for Diamond Lake in Owensboro, about 133 miles each way. After checking in at the office I got in the RV to go park in out site, and  about 5 feet away, I heard a squeaking noise, and then boom, another wheel blew out.
I assumed it was another rear tire, and I was wrong, it was a front tire, but only the sidewall delaminated, and blew out the side, leaving the belting intact, and it was still inflated, albeit, making a squeaking noise every rotation. Changed it out, and put on the spare, which is some old Michelin 7.50 by whatever.
I have been inflating the tires to 80psi, because i read so many things that the tires should be at 80, but looking at the door info, it said 60 psi, so, I went around, and deflated all the tires to 65.
I could not find a replacement tire Saturday, so said #$%^& It, and just drove back today on the spare, figuring if I blew one out on the front, I would move a rear to the front, and limp home.
Drove back at 55, which i like, because the 454, sounds really good at that speed, and the tires were fine. Actually at 65 PSI the ride was a lot better.
My plan at this time is to buy 2 new tires for the front, and an extra 16" rim, and have 2 spares.
The tires on it are 215/85/16, but the correct tire is a 235/85/16, so I have not figured out yet, if i want to put 235s on the front, and keep the 2 spares at 215s, and deal with the rear tires later, abut keep them filled them to 65psi.
The 215s are about 4 years old, and look good, other than the 2 sidewalls, i have blown out.

Thoughts, opinions??
Difference in diameter is a little over 1 inch between the 215s, and 235s.
Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Rickf1985

How old were the tires that blew out? Sounds to me like cracked, delaminated tread from age. Overinflation will not cause a blowout, it will just cause poor tire wear. Severe overinflation might cause a blowout but I am talking like 120 lbs. plus! 5-6 years old is about the limit on age on RV tires because they do not get used. They dry rot on the rims and you see the end results. Look closely at your remaining tires for cracks in the sidewalls and especially between the treads. If you see them then it is time to replace them.

tmsnyder

4 year old tires that are blowing out sound like a brand to be avoided.

What brand tires were these? 

Rickf1985

I had 5 year old Michelins on mine when I bought it and they were badly dry rotted. When I bought my Samsons the tire place I got them from, who dealt in mostly big truck tires, told me that Michelin had issues with not putting enough UV protectant in the rubber. He also said that the Samsons are just the opposite and will last many, many years sitting since they were originally made for trailers that do just that, Sit. We will see, we have several members running the Samsons.

JerryP

Quote from: tmsnyder on November 07, 2016, 09:02 AM
4 year old tires that are blowing out sound like a brand to be avoided.

What brand tires were these?

KHUMO
Jerry P
A work in progress

JerryP

Quote from: Rickf1985 on November 07, 2016, 08:33 AM
How old were the tires that blew out? Sounds to me like cracked, delaminated tread from age. Overinflation will not cause a blowout, it will just cause poor tire wear. Severe overinflation might cause a blowout but I am talking like 120 lbs. plus! 5-6 years old is about the limit on age on RV tires because they do not get used. They dry rot on the rims and you see the end results. Look closely at your remaining tires for cracks in the sidewalls and especially between the treads. If you see them then it is time to replace them.

Good point.

I think they were 4 years old, when I got it almost 2 years ago.
No cracks, or anything, visual inspection they look pretty good, right now
But I have had the RV going on 2 years, and they may now be a lot older than I realized.
May have to go check and see what the age of them are.
Still going to look up an extra 16 inch GM rim, and have 2 spares.
Jerry P
A work in progress

tmsnyder

JerryP

Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

From the Kumho USA site.
They have been around for a long time.

"Kumho Tire is a high performance tire company that brings quality and innovative technology to consumers worldwide.  With over 50 years of experience, Kumho Tire has transformed its humble beginning in South Korea into becoming the 9th largest tire manufacturer in the world. Kumho Tire USA is dedicated to ensuring the safety and performance of all our products to our customers."

Rickf1985

And just for general info, Samson is an American tire company! I did not even know that!!

http://www.molineux.com/gallery/info/SamsonTire.asp

EldoradoBill

I had Kumho tires on my work van-the belts separated and warranted tire replacement long before the tread wore out (2 years old) No more Korean tires, I now have Firestone Transforce HT on the work van as well as on the motorhome.

Mine had six, nine year old Goodyear Wrangler 215-85 16E tires on it when I got it and an original Michelin X 7.50R16 tire for a spare but I switched them out to the correct-size 235-85 16E tires all 7 I'd suggest the same.

Bill

Rickf1985

JerryP

Quote from: EldoradoBill on November 07, 2016, 07:14 PM
I had Kumho tires on my work van-the belts separated and warranted tire replacement long before the tread wore out (2 years old) No more Korean tires, I now have Firestone Transforce HT on the work van as well as on the motorhome.
Mine had six, nine year old Goodyear Wrangler 215-85 16E tires on it when I got it and an original Michelin X 7.50R16 tire for a spare but I switched them out to the correct-size 235-85 16E tires all 7 I'd suggest the same.

Bill

I am not impressed by the Khumo blowmatic tires either.
two sidewall blow outs in a month, is not something that inspires confidence
I have been using Wranglers for many years, on my pickup.
I may just have to do that.
I am probably done camping for the year, and have all winter to find a good deal on good tires.
I hate tire stores.

PS, I have the same Michelin tire for a spare

Jerry P
A work in progress

87Itasca

So far I have been impressed with my Samson tires. They do turn brown somewhat quickly, but a good scrub takes care of that. Nothing like a nice satin blackwall. :D

Running mine at 90 PSI up front, and 80 in the rear and on the tag. Seems to do well.  No abnormal wear yet, even with the tag axle like /---\ due to the rear air suspension being non operational. Hoping to fix that before spring.

EldoradoBill

Quote from: Rickf1985 on November 07, 2016, 08:00 PM
Firestone is owned by Bridgestone and made in Japan. Here is a little tidbit for you.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires/where-are-tires-made
I've had good luck in the past with Firestone/Bridgestone. Not afraid of Japan as a manufacturer, it's China junk I steer clear of if at all possible.

Bill

Surfinhurf

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Go to the link and learn how to decode how old your tires are.
Some Motorhome tires sizes are odd balls, like most Classic Winnebagos.
Odd ball size tires can sit in warehouses for years before they are finely sold and mounted.
I bought 6 new tires 2 years ago after a blowout of a 8 year old Michelin, Only about 10k on the Michelin.
It was a rear inside dual. I limped about 2 miles to a tire shop and was amazed to see the cracking/weathering on the single dual, that was supporting all the weight.  I had visually checked the outer dual tire before the trip and they looked fine. All the Michelins were manufactured 11 years ago, 3 years before I had them mounted.  $@!#@! $@!#@!  I had to special order 6 new tires (Odd ball size).  2 days later they arrived, 5 were manufactured with in the last 12 months, 1 was 3 years old. $@!#@! $@!#@!   I made them send back the 3 year old and waited another day for a "new" tire.

Lucky you were not at highway speed when your front tire blew :angel:

If all your tires are the same age, and they are starting to give you problems,,,,,I would replace them all

Good Luck

HURF

tmsnyder

Thank you JerryP

I'm glad no one was hurt by the tire blow-outs.   You were very lucky!

JerryP

I am very lucky indeed.
Seriously, how many people drive 135 miles, pull into a parking lot, stop, check in, and then drive 50 feet, have a front tire sidewall blow out at 10 mph, and not even deflate until it is parked, and set up for the weekend camping.
Pulled out the wheeled floor jack, changed it in 10 minutes, went on with the weekend

Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

What you describe is a symptom of underinfation. It is entirely possible that the previous owner ran them under inflated and the damage was done back then. Add to it the age of the tires and Bang. I would not blame that type of failure on any particular brand name.

87Itasca

Michelin put out a video about all kinds or tire info, preventative maintenance, etc.  Worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb7W-nRAPrk

DRMousseau

While age is certainly a factor, driving on underinflated tires is likely the most damaging to those tires. Besides excessive shoulder wear, underinflating cause tremendous heat generation, and heat damage is the leading cause of tire failure. Low inflation pressure can also leave the tires prone to road damage from "pot-holes", debris and curbs, and even reduce inner sidewall clearance between rear duals. I learned a great deal while having some serious tire issues a couple years ago with the ol' Winnebago.

Tires are spec to withstand considerable inflation pressures well beyond the listed sidewall max. And vehicle manufactures specs are for "comfort". Best inflation pressure??? Use the tire manufactures specs on the sidewall for max load!!! AND,... watch your LOAD!!! Overloaded tires generate a lot of heat at highway speeds. And while heated pressures do increase, they won't exceed the tires safety margin. It is the excessively high tire temps that cause internal damage and failure. I have always stopped often on long trips in car, RV or truck jus to check tire temps and now carry an IR temp reader to more accurately watch tire temps,... not jus sidewall temps, but tread and groove as well. AND, I watch my load more closely. I've been known to travel only at night sometimes, to avoid hot pavement temps that may also cause additional excessive heat when running heavily loaded.

Sidewall and tread cracks ARE signs of age and UV damage, but you won't see cracks that show the hidden damage caused in newer tires or any tires that have been abused and damaged due to overloading and under inflation!!! High temps from heavy loads are the leading cause of all those tire shreds along the highways,... some from NEW tires less than 6mos old!!! And you won't often see or feel any apparent signs from such failing tires until jus before a catastrophic moment, and often too late to respond to.

Hard tires "ride like a truck",.... and your motorhome IS a truck!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"