Anyone use "Cheap Heat" or RV Comfort Electric furnaces?

Started by scottsdale1977, August 11, 2014, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottsdale1977

http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/#

http://www.amazon.com/RV-Comfort-Systems-CH50-DH-SAL-BL230-Electric/dp/B008Z788HC

It states that it's meant for the larger "park models", but would it work as an actual replacement for a propane furnace? 
I'd love to go all electric if I could, minus the stove... I'm partial to a gas stove.   :)

scottsdale1977

Although I guess the Add-On would ideally work, having propane for backup.

moonlitcoyote

Sorry I went with a propane heater http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-furnaces/olympian-wave-heaters.htm because propane is cheaper then electric and it will work when boondocking.

acenjason

I agree on the propane. I have a Mr. buddy heater that I just love.:)

scottsdale1977

Wouldn't solar work for a power source or would the furnace be too energy hungry?:

M & J

There are few greater power mongers than a resistive load. Electric heaters consume so much energy your reserve capacity would have to be massive. We that still use the coach furnace have to keep an eye on coach batts simply because of the blower motor when dry camping.
M & J

pvoth1111

Fulltimer...we use a rather small ceramic heater......by this winter there will be heaters built into our a/c units.....
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Oz

All wonderful comments on options, but none answer the original question.

Apparently,  there's no available member with a valid opinion to offer on this.

As for solar being sufficient to run a furnace, that's a new topic and should be posted separately in order to get the proper attention it deserves.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

sasktrini

If you are paying for electrical, it makes sense… why use propane?  But if you are off-grid, I expect it will use a lot of your battery power.

I'm about to do some work on mine, which includes adding in a small electric fireplace.  Being in Canada, I'm expecting it to help reduce humidity and condensation (I understand propane furnaces add humidity to RVs).   

So I plan to keep the old furnace as an option. 
Corey aka sasktrini

Stripe

To answer the question, I don't see why not. However there are Roof AC Units that you can put in an optional heating unit into for far less cost.
My rooftop AC has both a Cooling mode AND a heating mode.
Most new(er) roof ac's have the connections to accommodate a heat unit.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

M & J

Ditto on what Stripe said. I put in the heater option in our rooftop and it takes the chill out of the coach on cool mornings.
M & J

Oz

Back to the original question... According to the website info, the Comfort Electric furnace is designed as a stand-alone replacement for gas furnaces.  Obviously, it's going to draw a lot of power and you must be hooked up to 50 amp to use it.

Just as obvious is that nobody here has used one.

Keep in mind that air conditioner heat strips are a lot cheaper bur are not sufficient for actually heating your RV like a furnace.  They're only good for taking the chill off moderately cool temps. 

So it looks like it's the end of the topic.

Plenty of info already on the boards about alternative and augmenting heat sources!   :)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

scottsdale1977

Thank you for all of the info!  Sorry Oz, I should have figured the solar power to be a separate topic.  I'll check out what others have done for further reference.  I figured the consumption would be too great for using off-grid...wishful thinking on my part.