Aux fuel tank disconnected - should I re-connect it?

Started by Oz, May 10, 2015, 11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76PRROW

There is an Aux. fuel tank that had its filler and hose removed, is it worth it to even try to reconnect it?

Oz

The aux tank is a great thing to have.  Naturally, there must've been a reason why the PO disconnected it.  Main reason might be that it has a lot of rust/crud in the bottom and it was sucking it up when used and the PO didn't want to get into repairing or replacing it so they just disconnected it.

If you'd like to see if it's salvageable and want the 2nd tank operating, make sure it's empty and drop it to evaluate its condition.  You will find tons of great info on this using the message search, including how to clean, repair, and prep it for re-installation. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

76PRROW

I found the original filler pipe assembly and it appears to have rotted out near the bottom. Upon inspecting the tank itself under the rig I found a spot welded patch on a punch hole. Uh oh. the main tank has this threaded screw bolt thing in the corner but the aux does not have this. Is this normal?

LJ-TJ

Got a picture. Sounds like somebody put a drain plug in  the gas tank. An aux tank is great to have. If possible drop the tank and check it out. Hm?