Black plastic water lines?

Started by Groove, July 15, 2014, 11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groove

I've been fixing leaks in the RV this week and all but one have been repaired. Under my kitchen sink there's a 5" split right down the middle of my cold water line and I'm having a hard time locating the exact same tubing. What did Winnebago use in 1988? Pex tubing is a slightly different diameter.

The black line in this photo is what's throughout my RV. What is it?

Groove

Ok, I just found out that it's Polybutylene tubing and it's no longer being made. The link below shows how to adapt modern PEX tubing to the old Polybutylene for repairs. Good to know!

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article_waterlines1.html

M & J

That was easy. Thanks for posting the solution.
M & J

DonD

Have PB in my stick house..it's crap.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

ClydesdaleKevin

Flair-It fittings will work to splice new line into the old black AND grey tubing.  Those things are amazing, and are all I use in our rig anymore.

KEv
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

FYI My 77 Mini Winnie has a silvery grey colored line (plastic of some type) Both hot and cold ,I have never had any problems with it in the 16 yrs i have had this rig  ;)   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

Interesting, Frank.  That's what mine had in too from the PO.  All the main, larger lines.  From them they went to PEX to the faucets and shower.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Groove

Thanks Kevin! I have a couple of those fittings already in place, but I didn't know that they could adapt pex to poly.

tiinytina

As we've had leaks we've been switching to pex lines.  bought a crimper gadget etc.... only issue we've had is the old butyl fittings have leaks and a shower line rubbed against a support for 24 yrs and finally rubbed through.....  and yes on flairs.
tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Oz

I had problems with that too.  Then Glenn fixed them right for me.  Perfect after that.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca