'73 minnie winnie grill (grille)

Started by UK-Winnie, June 11, 2014, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK-Winnie

OK so the bad news is that Winnie caught fire at the w/e and the end of hre grill melted away  :'(

It happened when I was welding my mates Landrover chassis about 15 feet away so I can only assume a bit of straw or something caught light and got blown across the yard and lodged in the grill.  Real bad luck - I've set a few cars on fire before but it has always been the one I was actually wellding.

Fortunately I caught it in time before any more serious damage was done.  The paint on the wing and hood corners has bubbled a bit but that's an easy fix.  The headlamp is cracked but again not a biggie.  And the bumper got covered in molten black plastic, but that has cleaned up OK.

So my question is this - will a standard style van grill fit and what years will fit?

There are a couple of grills on US ebay and I've asked him for a shipping quote but they are listed as '74-'78. 
The grill on Winnie is different looking but I'd be happy with one of these if it will fit.  I can't see that the sheet metal is any different between '73-'74.  But maybe it is  i??

Ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161333108814#shpCntId

Or does anyone have or know of a grill I could buy and get shipped over?

The old grill looks like this one:

The middle trapezoid part is alloy ali and is OK, it's the black plastic surround that is messed up.

As I say - I'm not stuck on an exact replacement, as long as it fits.

Thanks in advance

Steve
........nostalgia is not what it used to be

UK-Winnie

Just realised I would also need the headlamp bezels with a grill like that - maybe one like this would be a better bet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1978-Dodge-Van-B100-B300-Tradesman-Grille-with-lights-and-emblem-/161332566284?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25902b990c&vxp=mtr

At least I won't be able to set fire to that one   :D

Froggy1936

Wow, You even have bad dumb luck .  :(  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Wbago

Bad Luck !!

I like the second one better . . :D

UK-Winnie

Nothing's ever simple is it?

I think maybe I like the second one better too - and not just because it's made of metal.