Vehical wrap 3m vinyl

Started by cosmic, June 16, 2014, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmic

So I have had this idea for a long time and have finally got things started.
2 years ago I replaced all the lower rotten wood on the bottom of the rig. I got a bunch of pin holes and out right holes from the rotten wood sitting in there and causing corrosion. I put a shlick of calking over with my finger, and that calking turned dark and ended up looking like shoot.
So I bought a big role of vinyl 24 inch by 35 feet for 60 dollars at a sign shop and put on the first couple of pieces today.

I love the results. I'm going up to the bottom of the stripes. its going to look like new.. :)ThmbUp  You don't see those pin holes at all. It comes off with  heat gun. should be good for 15 years in the sun. Nice. sure beats painting and bondo and all that.  and best of all $60.00
what do you think?

[smg id=6592]

legomybago

You see a lot of these wraps running around on cars and trucks advertising now...looks like a great product. I plan on having a custom design one to black out my rear window in the FMC. I say go for it!!
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

M & J

Our coach was a retired radio station remote studio/tailgate RV and had vinyl graphics all over it.
After about a year they do not come off easily with a hair dryer. The vinyl does, but not the glue. Keep that in mind.
M & J

cosmic

I don't plan on removing mine. Im not advertising. Im restoring. A heat gun is much hotter then a hair dryer and will melt the glue no problem. I have finished the passenger side today and this being my worst side I'm extremely happy with the results. I mean what other option did I have? Fiberglass side walls?

LJ-TJ

• Believe it or not and I don't know about old glue. But if you rub vegetable oil on the glue with a rag it will take the glue off. Be real careful if you use a heat gun but possibly if you heat the glue with the heat gun and then rub it with vegetable oil it still might work.

M & J

I apologize. I in no way meant it was a bad idea to use the wrap, I was letting you know based on my experience with our coach vinyl wrap material after a year or so isnt removed easily.

We've tried a number of products and methods to get the glue off. Researching on the web I found a couple of chemicals the pros use but at $50/gallon it wasn't worth it.

I think your use is an excellent idea.
M & J

d21 special

Hey Cosmic,  D21 over here in Flamborough.  How much of your rig did you cover in the wrap.

LJ-TJ

Hey D21 in Flamborough? Cosmic we got another crazy here in Ontario? D:oH!

cosmic

I covered from the yellow stripe down. That was the part that had the corrosion from the rotten wood.
The wood has been replaced and now its all sealed up.
The sky is the limit as to how much of the rig you want to cover. I cant see why one could not cover the entire rig.

tntwardell

We were thinking of doing the whole rig in camo half forest other side desert