Source for Captains Chairs

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 07, 2008, 08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiffyWinnie68

Sent: 9/20/2004 12:16 PM

Hi, just wondering if anyone out there knows what type of captains chairs would work well to replace the seats in our '78 Winnie?  I plan to put a 'wanted' ad on my local ISP and would like to see if anyone has had better luck with a certain style, vehicle type or ??  I assume you could modify some better than others.  Ours are OK, but very!! uncomfortable and the stuffing is worn out!  Thanks for any tips, great site, can't tear myself away once I'm on!!   

Beatty1950

Sent: 9/20/2004 6:41 PM

I purchased a new set of Captain seats from Camping World.

I paid too much ( $175 each ) but the bolt holes matched perfectly and the install was very easy.

I do have a bench seat that I am trying to sell but it is 5 ft wide and has a value of $100+.

Bench seat has an electric motor that allow it to lay flat into a bed.    Came out of a Dodge Conversion Van.

Let me know if you are interested.  Shipping would be a problem unless you live in Washington State.

Dave Beatty

Moondisc1

Sent: 9/21/2004 7:58 AM

Mine came out of a Chevy Astro Van. $50 in the boneyard for the pair.
Had to make brackets out of flat stock to adapt them to the base.

Oz

Sent: 9/21/2004 8:14 AM

Mine came out of a full-size van in the junkyard.  $60 for the pair, very comfortable, nearly perfect condition, bolted right onto the existing OEM base, no modifications needed. Also, I spent hours looking through every on-line source for captain's chairs you could imagine.  The ones Dave Beatty got for Miss Tank were about the least expensive, most running over $200 - $600! 

Usually, there is a decent selection of vans in junkyards.  The 2nd row seats are typically in the best condition and you only need to remove 4 bolts to get them out.
- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

70winnie

Sent: 11/22/2004 7:12 PM

My new captains chairs arrived this weekend from www.superior-seats.com and I installed them today.  Took a couple hours, mostly because I don't have an open-ended wrench set and some of the nuts were in hard-to-reach places.

I purchased the Riviera seats with "Avalon Tee Tan" fabric from the "Bargain Basement" closeout page for $205 each (plus shipping).  It was more than I wanted to spend, but a lot less than others I've priced.

My primary reason for choosing these seats was that they were willing to sell me 11 yards of the fabric and 35 yards of welt cording, which my mother-in-law will use to make new, matching cushions for my bench and bunk.

I like the chairs, they're not flashy or extravagant but seem well constructed.  They'll send you a swatch of the fabric if you request it, but I think the fabric on the chairs actually seems nicer than the swatch I received.

Unlike the old, stiff chairs I removed, these recline to 45 degrees and have arm rests that flip up and out of the way.  I ordered mine with the inside arm rest installed and the outer arm rest included (but not installed).  This is because there are bolsters on the wall that match the dash, and I wasn't sure if the outside arm rests would fit.  I decided to leave them off, although they might have fit the tight space.  I'll keep them safely stored away in case I later remove the bolsters.

Gary Eddy

For those who would like a softer ride. I picked up a couple of "air ride" seat pedestals at a truck boneyard. Mounted a small compressor under the couch. A small air tank on the frame.

Now my seats ride on an adjustable height air pedestal. MUCH BETTER!
Gary Eddy
Fulltime Firefighter
St Paul MN

ibdilbert01

Thats totally cool!!!!   What a GREAT idea!!!!
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

moonlitcoyote

Does anyone know if they make captains chairs that have adjustable height? I'm thinking if I could raise up the captains chairs high enough I could put a small table on the doghouse, since I dont have a dinette, and be more comfortable then with my feet up too high because the chairs are too low.

Gary Eddy

Here are pics of the air pedestals I got from the truck junkyard for $75 ea.  You ride on a cushion of air and can adjust your height.
Gary Eddy
Fulltime Firefighter
St Paul MN

moonlitcoyote

Do you know how far up they will go? And did you just mount your chairs to them?

Gary Eddy

Travel is about 6 inches. With the type I bought (knee style, there is also scissor style) I had to recess them into the floor 2 inches and make up some mounting brackets out of angle iron. 
Gary Eddy
Fulltime Firefighter
St Paul MN

Oz

I replaced my original seats with 2nd row, full-sized  van seats from a junkyard.  $60 for the pair and just used the original pedestal and seat base that goes into it.  They do have adjustable height.

moonlitcoyote

Your original seats had adjustable height or the ones you got did? My seats dont have adjustable height, they only move forward and back.

Oz

The original pedastal and seat base did.  The seat bases were from the 1974, original seats, I just put the new(er) seats on them.  The steel tube which goes into the base has holes in the front and there's a step-on lever to release and lock the retaining pin to adjust the height.

[smg id=817]

Brave Frank

I have found a lot of parted out seats from vans on craigslist as low as $20.00-150.00. Hope that helps
"DO or DO NOT.......There is no TRY"

xerofall

Quote from: Oz on April 13, 2013, 03:54 AM
I replaced my original seats with 2nd row, full-sized  van seats from a junkyard.  $60 for the pair and just used the original pedestal and seat base that goes into it.  They do have adjustable height.

May I ask what make/model van you got them from? I'm looking to replace the seats in my 73 Brave and the base looks just like the 74 in your picture.

Oz

They came out of a late 1980s Chevy high-top conversion van.  I think the seat specs for conversion vans were universal for a real long time so a pair out of any make, model should work, but I'm not positive.  You could make a wood mock-up of the seat base and take it to the junkyard to match up.  Cut a square of scrap plywood to the outside dimensions and drill holes where the mounting bolts would go.  That ought to make it easy. 

xerofall

I went to two pick and pull junkyards to see if I could find some captains chairs. Most were in worse shape that what I already have, but I was able to locate two sunvisors off a 1978 Southwind that should work for me. $20 and they were in great shape.

In the meantime I bought a cheap $10 seat cover from Walmart that will do until I find some new-ish ones.