doorway 3 switch wiring and associated lights polarity

Started by circleD, June 14, 2014, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

I'm working on my aisle lights and I can't seem to figure out the polarity. I tried using a meter to see if it had power at the bulbs and switch but nothing. I ohmed the switches and they were closed when the switch was on and off. The wiring at the bulbs didn't read anything and ohmed with a beep. There's also 2 wires above the sink that have 12 volts on them but none of the 3 switches at the door turn them off or any other switches near by.
Are the switches and aisle lights positive on both connectors?
I did the switch check with the on and off from the bedroom and entry door and the far right one goes to the steps.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sometimes you have to be careful with lighting wires.  Light Mfg's think like a house where black is hot and white is neutral (ground).  Most RV Mfg's always had B+ from fuse to switch to light to ground.  Though there can be differences.  In a car, the switches that turn on the dome light when you open a door are always in the return (ground) side.  With electricity, if using incandescent bulbs, then even if the switch is in the ground side and B+ is on the other side of the bulb, you will still see 12VDC at the switch to ground.
Which reminds me, you are attaching one meter lead to a good ground and then using the other lead to probe the switch correct?  You do not measure across the switch terminals.

Dave   
[move][/move]

circleD

I've noticed that the 2 wires ( black and white )  that the white is ground and black is hot. I utilized a separate ground from the same battery and tested wires on switch. I've done the opposite and nothing.
But why am I getting a connection when the switch is off unless its a ground circuit but how do the lights get power because I can't detect any. Fuses are good.
And nothing turns off the wires over the sink.

DaveVA78Chieftain

As far as switch setup, one of the HR guys need to chime in as I have no clue about how they set the HR up.

Dave
[move][/move]

circleD

OK I give up on this. The bulbs work when hooked to + and - on a battery but all the wires are in the same circuit and the switches don't do anything so that's it for this project.

HandyDan

The switch closest to the door goes to the steps.  The one in the middle goes to the light above the door.  The one on the far left goes to the aisle lights.  If the switch in the bedroom under the thermostat is flipped, the one on the far left from the door will not work.  Hope that helps. 
Dan

I just went out and checked my motorhome under the kitchen cabinet.  I have a florescent light there, but it is 12vt. The light has it's own switch so the wire is constantly hot.

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

HandyDan

Have you checked the fuses on the dash behind the steering wheel?  If I remember right, the power might be coming from there.  Worth a look, anyway.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

circleD

There was one fuse blown on the far driver side but I thought that was for chassis stuff. I'll look. The light under my cabinets was a PO 120 volt but I'm putting in a 12v set up.
I still think its weird that I get a beep on my meter when I touch other wires. I'll take a pic and post. I'm just worried that if I try to put power on something and its wrong I'll have another issue. I'm not a genesis but I can normally figure out any 12v system. Thanks for the help Dan, I'll double check that stuff  :)ThmbUp

HandyDan

I know the fuse for my steps are located on top of the dash.  It gets its power right off the chassis battery.  I would not be surprised if the other switches are the same.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

circleD

Hm? That is true. FYI, I asked the PO ( my uncle) about the cabinet light and he swapped it to 120v when the 12v light died because it was cheaper so that one is solved. Now to find the switch for that wire.

Stripe

Dan is right about the wires above the sink, they are for the fluorescent light that used to be mounted there.  Mine burned out so I terminated them until I find a replacement 12v light fixture(perhaps an LED setup).  If'n he ran 120v to that spot I'll bet he did not put in a switch but instead used the switch on the light fixture that he used. That is how the original light worked.

As far as the three switches, mine are different. One controls the aisle lights, one the door light and one the automatic stairs.

Unfortunately I've never taken the switch apart so dunno the polarities..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

circleD

The 120 volt light was just plugged into the wall near the stove. I put some 12 volt LEDs under the cabinet but still dont know where the fuse is located for that wire. I looked on the fuse panel on the top side driver side dash and there's nothing labeled for aisle lights but yes there was one clearly marked for the power steps. I will keep looking and wire chasing.

Stripe

that wiring is fused at the 12v panel coming off the converter in the closet next to bed. At least it is on mine..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28