Propane tanks, Do they ever need to be recertified?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 10, 2008, 05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enigma960080

Sent: 9/25/2003 12:32 AM

Do the  tanks ever  need to be  recertified  like the ones  you  use on a  gas  BBQ?
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

jbrt1989

Sent: 9/25/2003 1:17 AM

I may be wrong, but, I don't think the inboard mounted tanks in larger RVs need to be recertified.  Any removable tank, such as the tanks for your grill or on most small pull behinds may need some kind of certification.  I do know that if those portable tanks are over a certain age, most propane places will not refill them, even if you have converted the fill valve to the new ones.

I know the tank in my 76 Cheiftain is original and I have no problems getting it filled.  I did have it inspected by an L/P dealer when I got it to make sure it was still safe. 

Jeff

mightybooboo

Sent: 9/25/2003 12:34 PM

Phil, Im in Ca too, with a 1979 Minnie, never a problem regarding refills on horizontal tank, and never a mention of recertification.

Boo

70winnie

Sent: 8/1/2004 11:30 PM

According to Trailer Life's The RV Repair & Maintenance Manual by Bob Livingston:

All containers must be inspected periodically and prior to filling.  Containers must not have leaks, excessive rust, dings, dents or gouges, and the manufacturing data on the valve guard on DOT [vertical] cylinders or the plate on ASME [horizontal] cylinders must be legible.  Paint should be in good shape and a light reflective color.  The DOT and NFPA require certain warning labels and markings.
[...]
DOT cylinders are required to be re-qualified by trained personnel at 12 years from the date of manufacture, and usually at intervals of five years thereafter.
[...]
As of April 1, 2002, all cylinders (4-40 pounds) must be equiped with OPDs [overfill prevention devices], with the exception of horizontal cylinders manufactured prior to September 30, 1998.

BTW, a sidebar also states:

NOTE:  All frame ASME tanks and DOT cylinders that are enclosed in compartments must be clearly marked on the outside of the RV with one-inch-high letters "LPG" indicating the location of the tank.

DanD2Soon

Sent: 8/2/2004

As far as requalification of the tanks - I think they told me the 30# tanks had to be requalified every 7 years and I had them check both right then just to be on the safe side. One of the tanks they thought was probably an original to the 1972 MH as its manufacture date was sometime in 1970 and the other was made in 1976 - both were O.K. - they stamped the new requalification date on them, installed OPD valves and filled them.

I just looked for the receipt - no luck - seems like the total was a little over $ 60 including LP & OPD's and I was there about 45 minutes - painless...

Later,
DanD

Turbodime

If the tank has a protective collar (aka BBQ forklift etc.) it's a DOT cylinder and needs to be re-certified at 12yrs.  If it has a welded on nameplate it's an ASME tank and requires no recertification. The nameplate has to be legible and intact to legally be filled. Even though by law it doesn't have to be re-certified it's a good idea to have it checked by a reputable company. 

ibdilbert01

I'm still running the original 30lb tanks, pre OPD.   I live in a small farm town, the folks turn their heads and fill them. 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

enigma960080

I just went  to a facility (that shall remain nameless at this point) to refill my  propane tank.  They told me  they would not fill it  because  it was  manufactured in 89 and  needed recert after 12 years.... I asked them  when that changed?  they said it has been  a regulation for a long time. I told them  since I bought the rig I have had the  tank filled here at least 8 times in the last 9 or so years, and NOW  you tell me its not fillable?   needless to say,  they filled it after a little back and forth  and me showing them  2 or 3 receipts for previous fills...   I REALLY need to find out the final word of if certification is required for saddle tanks or not... I don't think my blood pressure will take too many more encounters like that.  Any suggestions on where I should look to find this info?

Rickf1985

The short and simple, ASME "Tanks" that we have on Class A's and some class C's which are permantly mounted do not have to be recertified as long as they are in good physical condition. The DOT "Bottles" that are on travel trailer, slide in campers, forklifts etc. DO have to be recertified every 12 years. This also includes the large bottles for mobile homes and home use like the 100 lb. bottles.
NOW, The big problem is finding dealers who know the law or care to check the rules.
There are not too many propane dealers near me so I went to the one that always filled my bottles for my slide in and after having that discussion he decided he would fill my tank but it took some serious maneuvering to get close enough to the fill hose to get it done. Some places are just not set up for RV's.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Like this article, http://www.rvdoctor.com/2012/06/propane-container-re-certification.html you see it said in many places that

Portable DOT tanks (20, 30, 40lb BBQ style tanks with OPD valve) require first re-certification at 12 years and every 5 years after that.  That however has to be inacted by each state by state law.
http://phmsa.dot.gov/pv_obj_cache/pv_obj_id_0AC374C72CE4B82CD55A384509C1A22E6EDA1000/filename/requal_propane_cylinders.pdf

ASME tanks, large tanks permenatly mounted under the RV (no OPD valve), have to be kept in good condition but do not require periodic inspection.  Some info buried in this document:
http://phmsa.dot.gov/pv_obj_cache/pv_obj_id_9FD0A85670448E0647489303CE000CB96E0B0200/filename/smalllpgas-chapt3.pdf

It comes down to, is the tank you have governed by DOT rules (portable) or ASME rules (permenant mounting).

Dave
[move][/move]

enigma960080

Thanks for the info  Dave & Rick. I am bookmarking the sites in my phone  for later 'use'