Source for norcold 8310 eg3 cooling unit?

Started by Schwarzkopf9, July 11, 2014, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwarzkopf9

So, this fridge is from 1983 and hasn't run in 6 years. I pulled it out and fired it up on propane and worked well. Couple hours later it started to smell , not sure of it was strong propane or ammonia. I let it sit overnight and fired it up on 120v. It smelled a little after a few hours and I let it run all night. Came back in the morning and the smell was gone. On both occasions it cooled nicely. I'm just confused by the smell being there and then gone. Shouldn't it always smell if it has a leak? Also if you guys have any good sources for cooling units or fridges please share...I'm starting to consider the salvage yard! Thanks in advance!

Lefty

I have bought three units from this website over the years. They typically will run somewhere between $375/$425 for a rebuilt unit. This is somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 the cost of a brand new fridge...
http://www.rvcool.com/
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Rickf1985

If it was ammonia you would know right away. It is very strong and irritating to the eyes and lungs. You most likely have a blockage in the chimney, spiders love to build webs in there or mice or even a birds nest if the cover is not good. Do you have a new working CO detector in there? 6 years the old one should be replaced.

Schwarzkopf9

I'll check out that rvcool place. I did tip it on its side for about three hourd , let it sit overnight and now it cools even better! I just assumed that being so old it would be shot. I'll fire up the lp  again tonight and see how she works. I just can't believe how spendy these things are! I paid 150$ for the rig (28' brave) so, I'm not gonna pay 1500 for a new fridge. She's getting refitted at the moment so I shouldn't need a co detector until I start using it but I'll make sure to get a brand new one in, not worth skipping that step from the horror stories I've read!

Rickf1985

Well you don't want to be in it if it is building up CO because CO is cumulative in your blood. Every time you get a dose of it it adds to the one you got before. It takes a LONG time to get rid of it, trust me, I know. Headaches, dizzy spells, hyperbaric chambers. and that was from automotive work. Not fun.

Oz

It sat for six years.  It would smell  from build up of stuff settling on the unit burning off.   If you have it out and burp it (turning it side to top to side to up right) and it cools fine, why replace it? 

The electric option always goes out long before the propane is totally shot.  Most people just don't use the electric option and don't even bother going to the expense of repairing it since the fridge uses so little propane.

The fact that it cooled at all on propane after sitting 6 years is nothing short of miraculous.  Again, if it cools, why mess with it?

i??
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Schwarzkopf9

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I took apart the flu just to inspect it. When I fired it up on propane,I immediately smelled the previous smell. So I stuck my  nose down the chimney that runs next to the cooling unit an got punched by the smell so, that tells me it's not ammonia from the cooling unit. That and the fact that I don't smell it when on the electric. So, I think I'm just gonna run with it till it breaks. Thanks for the help guys!