Steering play: U-Joint repair, Steering Gear Adjustment

Started by Clyde9, November 26, 2008, 07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 3/4/2004 12:09 AM

Hi all I believe I have found the problem of the steering play in my steering wheel I believe it is the steering u-joint.Anyone know how to remove the shaft and is the u-joint repairable or does it have to be replaced?

Sent: 3/4/2004 2:35 AM

If it's not the u-joint,the steering gear box has a nut and a screw at the end of it.You loose the nut and screw the screw in until it touches and back it up the screw a quarter of a turn to a half.And that will take play out of steering,too.

You have to change it.The needle bearings are probably worn out.Works the same way as doing your drive shaft.

Sent: 3/4/2004 6:37 AM

If you are talking about the -pot joint- that is right above the steering box; A CWM member had to fix this last summer, and he gave decent instructions. Do a Message Search, for “steering box replacment”, its in the chassis mechanical section, but not on the first page anymore. More instructions will be in the thread titled “winnie goes a drifting”, which I found searching for the word “drifting”. If the steering box itself has not been adjusted in the last 20k miles, then I bet it is part of the looseness too - they are very adjustable. I have a long set of instructions on how I adjust my steering box in place - you need to do it periodically, maybe each 20k miles. If you want it send me your e-address, click on my name at the top of the reply to get my email address.
denison

Sent: 3/4/2004 10:51 AM

The pot joint does wear out - the seal leaks and contaminates the grease - Dave's reply for the search should take you there I posted a repair on "Winne goes a driftin "-and there are other good replies and info there also - The joint and lower shaft comes as a set is still available special order from a good dodge truck dealer - haven't found out if the cup, pin and bearing blocks are sold separate yet - it's not hard to do - check out the threads - email if you can't find it --- Sea Hag

Sent: 4/5/2004 6:30 PM

Hey all,

I'm still having a problem with my 79 Brave drifting.  I also think I may have a bad "pot joint".  How much play should there be if I grab the steering column, just above the steering box?  It seems as though I can turn the column almost 1/2 a turn before I get any resistance!  How do I tell if the pot joint is bad or if the steering box is at fault?  And if its the steering box, how do I know which one it is and what I can replace it with?  Thanks in advance.

Mark Whitton
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Sent: 4/5/2004 7:23 PM

Update,  I have the steering column removed now and on top of the steering box is a splined shaft.  On the column where it attaches to that splined shaft (the lower part of the steering column) is the female splined joint with a metal casing around it and a rubber boot at the top.  About 6 inches up from that is another clamp that holds together the lower and upper half of the column.  Then the dust boot in the floor and on up.   Everything from the steering wheel down to the end of the column (where the splined female section is) is very solid.  So I'm confused about the Pot Joint, is it inside the lower half?? If so, how do I get it apart to inspect it?  Thanks again.

PS  I can post pictures if it will help.

Mark Whitton
BonneauBago

Sent: 4/5/2004 7:59 PM

Mark - There is a retainer ring on the rubber boot where the lower shaft goes into the cup or pot part of the joint - with the retainer removed the shaft will slide out of the pot - since you have the colum removed you should clean ,inspect the bearing blocks for wear ,and repack the grease in the joint . email me and I 'll try to take a pic of the parts catalog breakdown - Sea Hag

Sent: 4/5/2004 8:44 PM

I did manage to get the joint at the lower end of the shaft disassembled.  The square togs were in good shape, but I rotated them just for good measure, filled the cup 1/2 way with grease and reassembled.  I don't want to reinstall the steering column until I thoroughly check out the steering box, which I am leaning toward as the culprit.  Does anyone have a procedure to check the box and besides the lock nut / Allen bolt adjustment, know of any other adjustments I can perform to try to get the play out?? Thanks in advance.

Mark Whitton
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Sent: 4/6/2004 5:21 PM

Update again!  First off, thank you's go out to Denison and Sea Hag for the excellent information they sent me!!  Thank you.  I did the adjustments and my steering is probably 80% better!! yahooooooooo  However, I did find a rebuilt steering box at Advance Auto for $185, they have to order it and when it comes in we have to make sure it is the right one.  For that price, I might as well have it changed out, just to be sure.  If it is the right one, I'll post the part number for it.  Thanks again everyone!

Mark Whitton
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Sent: 4/6/2004 7:36 PM

It took me a couple of tries to get my steering box adjusted just right - a combination of me not doing it as well as i learned to on later tries, and of the steering box having to lap-in after years of being way-way out of adjustment. Now I retouch it about each 10k or 20k miles. The same with the toe-in adjustment, it took more than one try before I got it to the toe-in that resulted in happiest steering. That Saginaw steering box might be a model 725, I'm not sure.

Sent: 1/21/2006 3:25 PM

Sent: 9/4/2004 9:30 PM

The instructions for this is now entitled "TIP:  Loose Steering, Winnie Wanders"... if your wandering.  - Sob

Sent: 9/6/2004 1:11 AM

Hey Sob... I just did the adjustment thing on my Winnie.  Thanks!!!!  It feels like a new vehicle now!

I found out why you have to loosen the top collar and tighten the plug -- it takes up the "slop" in the worm gear's vertical travel.  The set screw takes up the "slop" in the worm gear's lateral travel.  If you don't adjust the plug, you run the risk of your steering "binding" when you are driving.

John

Sent: 5/6/2005 4:28 PM

If and when I adjust my steering gear box, it leads me to another question:  Does the gear box get packed with any kind of lube, and how?  My steering is pretty good, not too sloppy, but I noticed that the outside casing is pretty covered in old grease and dirt.  It looks like its been leaking for a very long time...what's leaking out of it, and how do you top it off?  The power steering fluid is topped up and stays there, so I'm at a loss as to what's leaking from the steering box.

Kev and Patti Smith