Putting Radial Tires on Bias Rims

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 27, 2008, 12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/12/2004 1:28 AM

I changed tires to radials instead of bias.Went to different load range and tire pressure.The back tires hold 80 lbs. and the fronts hold 90 lbs.The front tires have been on two summers with no problems.Was told rims could break using rims that were on the camper.Is this true and is this a concern .Told by Firestone that there should be no problems with these rims.Has anyone else done this and have they had any problems with their rims. Mike(FellowRvers)

Sent: 9/12/2004 10:26 AM

From what I understand as long as you don't exceed the load range of the rims ( stamped on rim) with a tire that has a bigger load range. All should be OK. The danger is for the tire changer ( putting the new tire on the old rim) in getting the bead to seat. When the bead pops ( to seal around the rim), it could throw the bead off the tire, causing the tire to go airborn. This happend a lot in the early to mid -70's when radials first hit the market. Manufactures changed the lip of the rim where the bead seats to correct this problem. Personal experiance in 1973, one crushed my hand, and bounced off a 20 foot ceiling (after it hit my hand) But obiviosly yours seated and once seated, danger is passed. I'd advise anybody who did this, or has it done, to put tire in a cage, or have it held down (locked) by something very sturdy, and a screw on air vallve filler with pressure guage when seating the bead of a radial tire to a non-radial rim. Don't try this at home.
Timmy

Sent: 9/13/2004 1:39 PM

Be careful!  Dodge derated the Budd disc wheels when radial tires are mounted on them.  Like Timmy said, the bead seats were changed to accomodate radial tires.  Dodge also put a maximum pressure of 75 PSI on the wheels.  So if your wheel weight is under the maximum allowable weight for the tire when it is inflated to 75 PSI you will have no trouble.  Oh yes,  Dodge did not recommend radials be mounted on Budd disc wheels at all.  Hope this helps, Rick

Sent: 9/13/2004 1:42 PM

Sorry,  I should have said,  Dodge did not recommend putting radials on 17.5 " Budd disc wheels at all.  Rick