Is my thermocouple misaligned or dead?

Started by loothi, June 16, 2015, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loothi

Hi all.

I made the stove light when I first  bought the '72 Brave. 1k miles later and only the pilot lights, the oven burners never fire. The stove top works fine.  But when trying the oven, it doesn't sound like the propane is kicking in.. So perhaps it's the thermocouple?

Can anyone tell me if this picture of the metal widget with an opening is in fact a thermocouple, and if it looks misaligned?
[smg id=7175]

Also - what troubleshooting can I do to the stove? Please assume I know nothing and am not at all 'handy' if you reply. As this is the case.

Thanks!
Lucy

Oz

Do you know the make and model?  We may have the manual for it, which includes troubleshooting.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

RANGERRICK

After you lite the pilot,set your temp and see if if the pilot increases in size.If it did not increase in size you may need a new thermostat.If you need parts i may be able to help you.I will need the make model and serial#s.The thermocouple is the part with a very small wire that goes to the safety valve.The pic shows the pilot assembly.

loothi

It's the orig avocado stove fitted in the Winnie.

"Premiere tr-30 Rv" it says.

And no, the pilot stays weak no matter the temperature I set the oven to.
Thanks!

Lucy

RANGERRICK

I will take a look to see if i have a replacement.

Trunkhill1

My advice is to contract an appliance repairman as you'd never want to risk carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leak, or explosion.  These things are best left to a recommended professional.

Oz

These units are very basic and not hard to work on at all.  By following safety precautions and the advice from members here, hundreds of owners have safely worked on and repaired or replaced their LP stoves, furnaces, water heaters and refrigerators... even me!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca