Sources for 8 X 17.5 Tires & shock info

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 28, 2008, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 11/7/2003 9:49 AM

Just wanted to let anyone who is interested know that if you are either in the military or retired military, you can go through the AAFES web site and order 8 X 17.5 radial tires for around $112.00 each plus shipping!  They are Yokohoma tires and they ship directly to your house, my total for 6 new radials was $762 (inc. S/H)!  Just have to get them mounted.

Mark
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Sent: 11/7/2003 11:46 AM

Great tip.

For those non-miltary, I picked up the same tires from www.tirerack.com for around the same price.   They are great looking tires.   I  have only drove tem around 1000 miles so far so I can not report on performance but I hear they are good.

Dave Beatty

Sent: 11/8/2003 8:46 AM

Hey Dave, your exactly right!  Tire Rack is where the Exchange got my tires too.  I can't wait to drive on radials and get rid of these semi-square bias plys, lol.  Hopefully they will clear up the rest of my occasional wandering I get cruisin down the road!

Mark
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Sent: 11/8/2003 9:25 AM

My chieftain has a set of yokohama raidial s , I don't know how many miles are on them but there is still plenty of tread ,seem to be wearing evenly , and the sidewalls are in exelent shape .It was one of hte strong points considered when I purchased the rig , knowing it neede work elswhere and I didn't wat tire$ to be my first investment . I knew the PO before he died so I know they are over 5 years old . he kept it in a barn with a cement floor so that probably helped . his wife left a list of investments in the winne and tires weren't on it . I heard the are a good choice also .---  Sea Hag

Sent: 11/8/2003 10:53 AM

I went to 6 new radials from mix of Radials on front and bias on the back.  New Yokohama radials are very smooth and track well down the road regardless of surface changes. 

I also upgraded shocks to set of Bilstien which are said to be the best available to help with handling.  Sway seen from passing Semi-trucks is greatly reduced and bounce when driving over freeway over-passes is not noticed any more.  RV is much more stable but I am always looking for ways to improve ride.

I am now running 60 PSI in all 6 tires and that seems to help also.  In an effort to keep Tire PSI consistent, I have installed Valve Stem caps that show green when over 60 PSI and change to yellow and Red if under 60 PSI.  All this in a effort to improve control of RV.

I am considering some sort of steering stabilizer and/or air springs in my quest for the best ride, but first wife (of 30 years)  is starting to notice my little investments, so not sure when/if these next steps will be taken.

Well ... only $$ ...  and still have less invested than the amount I would have paid for Washington State sales tax only on a New Motorhome (but I love the New Winnebago VW Rialta) .

Happy Classic WinnebaGOING to all.

Dave Beatty

Sent: 11/8/2003 2:46 PM

My rig had an even mix of Yokohamas and Michelins the same age.  The Yoko's wore less, cost less, rode better and the sidewalls lasted better than the Michelins.  Now I have all Yokos and the ride is greatly improved.

- Sob

Sent: 11/8/2003 3:37 PM

Dave,

Do you happen to remember where you got your multi-colored air pressure checking state of the art valve stem caps?  Sounds very useful!

Mark
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Sent: 11/8/2003 7:35 PM

SOB ....

Bilstein Shock info below:

http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxshop/index.php
$289 + $13 shipping
800 683 2890
Front Part Number 1318
Back  Part Number 1319

Dave