noise in steering column

Started by Arberg0, November 29, 2008, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arberg0

From: 78brave1 (Original Message) Sent: 9/14/2004 9:37 PM

i have a 79 brave  and when ever you hit bumps in the road  you get a metal banging noise  from the  steering coloum and i have checked everything out and can not find the problem. i had a few mechanics tell me the steering coupler  was froze up and they said there was a spring in there ,i took it apart and there was no spring  , does anyone have any ideas .

Maybe there was supposed to be a spring?   I would try to find an exploded parts diagram like in the parts books and check for sure.

John

I have a 76 Custom and in the exploded view in service manual, & in the part manual,  does not show a spring anywhere near the coupling. It sounds like the possability that the bearing blocks in the pot coupling are worn. You can remove them and reverse them if they show signs of being worn. Sea Hag did this on his. There is also a special adjustment for Shaft-bearing blocks. center of shaft should be @ 8'' from steering gear. I can send you the page from manual if you want......Timmy

Tim is correct there is no spring in the pot joint (universal / coupler ) You might check to make sure the bearings and shaft are not bottomed out in the cup after the colum is mounted . Also check to make sure the colum tilt mechanism hasn't come loose or broken anywhere . There shouldn't be alot of travel in the joint as the stearing box does not travel with the suspention .It's mainly there to acommidate the colum tilt and assorb frame vibration .Not alot in the cup that could cause a ping  . I would gess it's comming from somewhere else m maybe in the stearing linkage . Sea Hag 

Any steering or suspension joint that isnt snug might transmit a whack up to the steering column - tie rod ends, drag link, steering box bearings not snug, even the mounting bolts for the steering box being loose. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth through about 90 degrees, while you lie underneath and look for free motion where there shouldnt be. Could it be a bad shock absorber grommet you are hearing banging around? Have a close look at the spring shackles to see if they are badly worn and off center. Since you have disc brakes in front, make sure the caliper is tightly bolted to the spindle assembly.
With the windows open I drive along close beside a brick building to hear things happening in my front suspension. I find a pavement lump in the long stretch at the back of a mall or industrial row. This has helped me hear which side of my vehicle I had a suspension squeak coming from.
If you dont find it, might want to check your wheel bearings. Even make sure the lug nuts arent loose.
If your Winny is on a Chevvy chassis instead of the Dodge, check that the -bell crank- in the steering isnt worn out.
If anyone else on the site has a P30 chassis, here is a url about a bell crank upgrade: www.hendersonslineup.com/crank.htm

S9,
Denison hit the nail, could be all or a combo of all he listed. Also jack up one wheel at a time and look for play anywhere in King Pins or Ball Joints.....Look for any rubber gromets or rubber bushing missing too. Best thing to do, is find your chassis service manual, and chassis part manual,  then you'd have specifics of what your looking at. Sent you the diagram but like I said, that might not be the correct one for your series chassis. Tha tis for a Saginaw 708 or 710 on a Dodge..
Timmy
Hope you find the solution...there are no problems.....only solutions........

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson