Weight limit for fold down bunks

Started by Rollingmenace, November 07, 2015, 08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollingmenace

I've looked through all my paperwork and I could not find any info....
1976 brave d21 with the fold down bunks front and rear does anyone have an idea on a weight limit ... Will they hold a 200 lb person???
Thanks in advance Zach

Lefty

I would think the actual weight limit would be about 150lbs. Considering they were intended to hold two children.. That was when new, without 40yrs of dryrot factored in.  I don't think I'd trust one for that much weight now...
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

DRMousseau

As a single full-timer in my D20, I slept mostly in the front drop bunk and used the rear accordion bunk with a slight mod for storage. I reversed the forward most hinge so the front panel portion folded up, and repositioned the locking bolts. This gave me A LOT of needed storage, and I had easily a couple hundred pounds plus up there all the time, with heaviest items distributed along the back and sides. BUT, that was also supported well by that front hinged panel being folded up on edge.  I noticed a slight bow, and knew I would have to periodically reverse the board panels every few years to prevent a great set in them. This mod still allowed adequate headroom when sitting and standing from the settee below and was no problem. I was never fond of that much high positioned weight when traveling.

The front drop bunk easily held my 155lbs and occasional guest when necessary, although it had a bit of motion and squeaked if the steady locks were loose. The rear settee was used for napping or sleeping in the coldest weather, when I would close off the rear space to conserve night-time heat. I seldom drew it out except for family trips when the full bed was necessary.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Rollingmenace

Thanks guys I may try and test them today .. I was figuring around 150 or so.. But we're planning a guys trip next weekend for camping and riding.. We're hoping to accommodate 4 in the brave.... I guess the two lightest will get the fold downs lol

khantroll

Oz

Take into account, the topic is about "fold down" rather than the scissor hinge, pull-down.  If you have the latter type, the weight bearing load is higher due to the design.  Please do not respond to this topic if that's what you have, since there is a considerable safety issue involved.  If you've already replied, please remove the contents of your reply and enter "delete" in the body.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

I had the scissors type, but saw he asked about the fold down type and responded accordingly.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

EldoradoBill

I have sheaves of literature and it's interesting to note that there is no mention in any of it as to a bunk weight limit. The only mention is ladder/roof (225 lbs) I would guess there would be a decal of some sort on/near the bunk?

Bill

Rollingmenace

I may have described it wrong  but thanks guys... The bunks I have have two boxes mounted one on each wall.. You pull down the bunk and basically two rods on each side come down with the bunk that are attached to the boxes.. And from the sound the boxes house springs... The back two rods have a rod that attaches and runs the length of the bunk... Am I safe to assume they are what is referred to as scissors type??? I can post pics tomorrow..

Oz

Pix would help.  The "scissors" type has a box on each side, with springs inside, and metal arms which extend when the bunk is pulled down... like the old time, slapstick movie boxing glove bit.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rollingmenace

Looks like it's a scissor type... I guess I had it wrong at first... Now the million dollar question .. Is there anywhere that I can find info on a weight limit

Rickf1985

Even if you find the info keep in mind that the walls that it is attached to are probably 1X2 and 40 years old. I would say to use common sense. In 1976 the average adult was nowhere near as heavy as they are today. W% N:(

DRMousseau

Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Rickf1985

450 for the queen and 300 for the twin! I think you should be covered as long as you keep it to sleeping. W% :)rotflmao If you have ever had any water damage in those walls though all bets are off.

Rollingmenace

As always you guys come through once again.... Man I love this site...
The rating was definitely higher than I thought... Since I got twins and no real water damage issues we should be good with 200-210 lbs on the bunks.....
And don't worry Rick..... Since it's a guys weekend the bed will be only utilized for sleeping.... I save the other activities for the wife lol  ;)

DRMousseau

I remember those "guys weekends" in campers, trailers, and RVs,... and the bunks.

Our number one rule,... "NO LOADED FIREARMS PERMITTED INSIDE!"
All must be empty of shells, cartridges and clips, with bolts, actions or breech open when brought inside. No exceptions! (and usually laid upon an empty bunk)

And that meant NO! You can NOT shoot the biggest buck you ever saw in your life,... thru the window!!! But you can sure choke on your beer!

Yes,... the firearm deer season is about to begin here in Michigan.
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Rollingmenace

Being born and raised in Ohio ... I've spent many of those weekends in Ohio Michigan and West Virginia ... Some of the best memories with my dad and grandfather were shared chasing the elusive monster whitetail....   Here in Colorado hunting season is just about finished for the big game... But this weekend is going to be one last hurrah on the dirt bikes and quads in the mountains before the snow gets too deep.... Our biggest issue will be not tracking mud and snow in the brave with nasty motocross boots lol

Rickf1985

A guys weekend huh, so who is going to be in any condition to climb into that thing? Video would be priceless. Hm? D:oH! ;)

Froggy1936

I started hunting after i got married, First my brother in law and i built a teardrop trailer No insulation Heated with a propane space heater used for sleeping only everything else done outside Used two seasons and would take 3 hrs to relate all the story,s that go with that one ! Then we bought a 1949 Ford school bus that had been converted into a camper used four seasons , Would need 6 hrs. Then we bought a 1/4 acre and built a 3 room camp that quickly expanded into a 5 room with bath used for 20 years  Would take 30 days for all those stories . Just recently stopped hunting due to no one to go with and afraid to be by my self out there   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Those are the stories best left untold. :)rotflmao

1990HR

Quote from: Froggy1936 on November 11, 2015, 04:38 PM
I started hunting after i got married, First my brother in law and i built a teardrop trailer No insulation Heated with a propane space heater used for sleeping only everything else done outside Used two seasons and would take 3 hrs to relate all the story,s that go with that one ! Then we bought a 1949 Ford school bus that had been converted into a camper used four seasons , Would need 6 hrs. Then we bought a 1/4 acre and built a 3 room camp that quickly expanded into a 5 room with bath used for 20 years  Would take 30 days for all those stories . Just recently stopped hunting due to no one to go with and afraid to be by my self out there   Frank

Don't be afraid to hunt alone.
I hunt Mountain Lions alone because I love the fact I'm hunting something that may be hunting me.
I only hunted Deer once because shooting something standing there looking at me is not really fun or exciting.
Our Deer are stupid. :)
Anyways, get out there and do some hunting.

tiinytina

my scissor bunk rating for Gone's is 250lb  max...
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Alaskan Itasca

I had a pull down bed like the one pictured above and I slept in it for a week at a time with no problems I'm 225 pounds and the bed frame I built is far heavier than whatever came with it. MY only recommendation is to get a couple of RV stabilizers to put on the front and back to eliminate the sway that happens every time you roll over in a pull down, with the weight up high the whole rig will rock and shake more so than if you rolled on the regular bed.

I bought this and it worked great to prevent side to side sway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UGJPXQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

LJ-TJ

Well all I can add is I have had two 1975 21 footer's with the scissor bunks up front like yours. Have taken them to the race track most weekends for several years and had lard asses 250 and under sleep in the upper bunk and never had a problem so I would be willing to say that if your 250 and under and not trying to get some nookie you'd be in good shape. D:oH!

joanfenn