Should I change to an electric fuel pump?

Started by Elandan2, November 30, 2008, 11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elandan2

Sent: 2/24/2008 1:16 AM

hey all,i have a 73 brave w/440.3. that looks like it needs a new fuel pump. has anyone swaped over to a electric fuel pump? any idea what amount of pressure is needed?older subarus(1978-1994) are my other drug of choice.so i have lots of subaru fuel pumps,so i'm hoping they match..... so any advice or storys about changing over to 12 volt would be cool. thank you and happy trails folks,todd

Sent: 2/24/2008 9:59 AM

I have a '69 D22 with a Dodge 360 in it. I added an electric fuel pump to assist my manual fuel pump. I was traveling with a wagon train, at a creeping pace at times,  I would loose fuel pressure on an incline. So I went to the local auto supply and picked up an electric fuel pump for a few bucks. I installed the electric pump on the frame between the fuel tanks, in line with the manual pump. I haven't any problems keeping fuel pressure now.
Good luck,
Mtnlion

Sent: 2/24/2008 10:03 AM

I looked in the manual and for a 440 it says  6 - 7.5 psi

Sent: 2/24/2008 12:43 PM

hmmmm,now as i remember i can check the psi of a fuel pump with my vacume guage.it checks vacume and psi pressure.that will be todays job.thank you!      has anyone just removed the manual fuel pump and installed a "plug" over the hole?i used to look down on "rice grinders" but now that i'm a little older and wiser,they have lots of great ideas....so i will see if i can make a winnebaru??thanks again,todd

Sent: 24/02/2008 6:10 PM

If you insist on using an electric pump, i dont think you need to remove the mechanical pump. Just disconnect its lines or bypass them.
If someone has trouble keeping fuel pressure up, I dont think it is because mechanical pumps are not good, I think it is either because there is a leak somewhere in an old rubber fuel line, or the metal part of the line is partially clogged with years of accumulated silt, or the pickup 'sock' in the tank is semi-clogged. (fix this by blowing air back into the fuel line). Or because you have vapor lock due to the brake lines running in-line-of-sight to the exhaust system, and a heat shield is missing.
I can also believe the mechanical fuel pump has a bad diaphram, or a leaky valve, or a worn pivot arm: But thats a sign of age, and a new mechanical pump would fix it. My plan is to replace the mechanical pump every ten years, along with the rubber lines. Than I can forget about it for ten years. I have already added some heat shielding between the fuel lines and the exhaust system. Made a big difference at high altitude in hot hot weather.

Sent: 25/02/2008 7:11 PM

hey gang,well,   i broke down and got a manual pump. all the subaru fuel pumps i had were from carberatored models,only 3 psi. i know that the fuel injected models have a stronged fuel pumps and i,m not sure of there psi. so i will have to put that plan on "the back burner". if the psi match i surely will have one 12 volt pump  along"just in case".one of the reasons i wanted to go 12 volt was , now don't laugh,better gas milage and less ware on the engine.i know that it wouldn't be much ,but would help over the looooooong run. and hey,     we are all getting older and getting more miles on us and we all can appreiciate one less thing to do. right?   so     thanks again for all the help guys,todd

Sent: 03/05/2008 11:51 AM

my rv is hard too start and i believe it may be a bad diaphram in the fuel pump, it has too crank for awhile before it will fire. it has been my experience in the past that this is an indication of a bad diaphram. is there an advantage to switching to an electric fuel pump versus replacing the mechanical pump. are electric pumps less money? do they last longer and perform better? can anyone pls explain this too me i too am thinking of replacing my fuel pump. 

Sent: 03/05/2008 2:58 PM

There is more info on electric fuel pumps here which fully explains everything your asking. 

Use the Chassis Mechanical Message Board Search.

Price... electric pumps are waaaaaayyyyy.... more expensive than a mechanical stock replacement and, it only takes a few minutes to change out the stock pump, which delivers a totally adequate fuel supply.  Adding an electric pump will provide instant fuel to the carb instead of needing to crank the motor a few times (provided your accelerator pump is not sticking).

Also, if your accelerator pump is working, then you should be able to pump the gas pedal a few times to prime the carb before turning the engine over and it should start on the first or second try... provided your rig hasn't been sitting so long the fuel has evaporated from the supply line.

~ Phåråoh ~

Sent: 03/05/2008 7:10 PM

I think the hard starting is due to the fuel leaking out of the float bowl over a period of a few days. To me its a sign the carb could use rebuilt. But if its otherwise working well I wouldnt mess with it.
to start mine I always take the engine cover off and remove the air cleaner. I prime the carb with some gas, then I start it. I sit there waiting for the fuel pressure to come up, and I watch for fuel leaks, sparks from old plug wires, flames and smoke. I have a fire extinguisher in my hand during this time.
When the engine can idle down, I check my tranny fluid. Its old seals seep a little fluid, so it usually takes some ATF. Its the original tranny, and never rebuilt, and its not worn out yet.
Then I put the engine cover back.

Sent: 27/06/2008 2:47 PM

Well i used to have a starting problem with my fuel pump on my old Winnie. I installed an electric fuel pump in line with the mechanical pump as a boost pump.  When the Winnie sits for months on end with out running its difficult to get the fuel to the carburetor.  So i turn on the boost pump for a short time to prime the carb and the mechanical fuel pump We use the same system on some airplanes. 

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck